[SOLVED] Asus Strix RX570 OC 4GB checkerboard pattern and crash

cientista

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
Hi!

Some time ago I got this used GPU, the guy I bought said it was from a office but almost sure it was from a mining rig. After some time using it I got the pattern like that in the image down (it's not a screenshot from my pc, is from a post on this forum but it is exactly the same pattern).

bvEic9b.jpg

Since I'm a Linux user I first though it was an AMDGPU driver issue but, after some weeks, it happened on windows also...

In the time between the problem happen also on windows I found that on Linux, by opening and closing lot's of terminals making the VRAM speed up and down, I can trigger the issue every time. After some seconds doing that I get that pattern on the screen. In windows it happens only at opening games when the game start pushing the GPU.

After some time thinking and experimenting I found that if I force the GPU memory to a specific speed everything is fine, when working I'm at low speed (300Mhz) and in gaming at full speed (1750Mhz).

Using this "fix" (since beginning of August) I can use any program or play any game at maximum settings squeezing the GPU core and memory at 100% and not even one crash but, if I leave the memory in auto, there is a chance of crash when I open or close a normal program or game (VRAM ramps up or down).

I tried the GPU on another computer with a more powerful PSU (but with an equal CPU) and the same happens. The GPU BIOS seems the correct one.

So I believe that this is a GPU problem and I just set the memory speed manually and, for now, is a perfectly functional GPU but the fact that only happens when the VRAM ramps up and down is making me nuts... Any toughs on this beside dying GPU?

Thank you.
André

Solution
Under Perfomance -> Tuning tab.
Accept the EULA, set manual tuning on VRAM, then click advanced control and unlock Voltage.

Set voltage up to 980mV.
Also I failed to ask you in first place, have you talked to the guy who sold you the GPU?

cientista

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
Yes I also read lot's of people with problems in this GPU, it just most of problems are on load all kind of problems and, in my case, is similar but difierent since what seems to cause is not the load but the speed up and down of the memory...

Regarding the "bumping Vram voltage" you saying undervolting or also bumping up the voltage to find if any setting help? Sorry about this question but regarding messing with voltages I only undervolted my laptop CPU (an i7 7700hq who behave like a room heater when I try to game) and never messed with any GPU...

Thank you.

cientista

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
Under Perfomance -> Tuning tab.
Accept the EULA, set manual tuning on VRAM, then click advanced control and unlock Voltage.

Set voltage up to 980mV.
Also I failed to ask you in first place, have you talked to the guy who sold you the GPU?
Ok, I will test that. After work I will boot windows and remove the secondary monitor to test that since with dual monitors the VRAM is always at full speed and because of that never crash.

Regarding the guy who sold me the GPU I send him a message about the problem, he read it but never respond me... :/ I already was expecting that.

Thank you for the help.

Well, looks like memory is failing, I would back the memory off by 100,hz to see if that clears it up.

Another thing is be sure to move to 20.10.1 or better, sure did solve a lot of weirdness on my end
Hi.

Yes as you said I also read in lots of threads with people with vram problems to reduce the frequency a bit.
I never tried that but because since I can put the GPU to the maximum struggle with 100% core and vram and it works flawless for and entire night of gaming or blender work. The problem only occurs sometimes when the frequency changes so I assumed (maybe wrong) that was not the problem.

I will try set the voltage as suggested by RememberThe5th and if that didn't solve I will also reduce the frequency as you suggested.

Regarding the drivers it's a fail from me not have them updated...

Thank you for your help.

FOUND IT! How to keep it constant 2000Mhz (on my sde, I probably would suggest you to keep it stock for long run)
Click on State 2 and set as Min and set as max and thats should give it a fix to keep it that way.
And now the magic will it stay when you boot the PC next time...
Also PS. I first initally opted out for bios modding, but I did not know for this since Im using MSI afterburner for ocing.
image.png