[SOLVED] Asus Strix Vega 64 - Laggy windows and intermittent no display.

Jan 12, 2019
I bought a Asus Vega 64 for Christmas, basically getting intermittent "no display" after a reboot. Screen will stay black but pc will seem to boot fine. After many resarts the display wil kick again. And this leads to my next problem, when the display does work i get laggy windows performance. The mouse coursor will almost slow intermittently to a crawl making navigation in windows a pain, and any animation that occurs within windows (eg. Spinny wheel on restart) lags too.

Also worth a mention that any video played on the system, youtube, media or otherwise has audio issues. Now with basic Microsoft VGA drivers the system runs fine (Still have the intermittent no display though) It is as soon as i install any driver for the vega that the poor laggy performance and audio issues start.

I RMA'D the card thinking it was DOA and was told it was working fine and playing games no bother, which leads me to believe that its something else in my system. However the system all works fine with my old R9 290 in it, i will list my specs and various things i have tried to troubleshoot.

Window 10 64-bit
MB: Asus Prime B350
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X (no OC)
RAM: 8GB Teamgroup DDR4 2400mhz (2x4GB)
SND: Scarlett 2i4 USB
SSD: 2x Teamgroup 500GB
PSU: Cougar 1050W / Corsair RM750W

I have tried all the usual things but to no avail:
-Windows Re-install
-MB BIOS updated to latest version (V.4207)
-Cmos reset
-Flicked BIOS switch on the GFX
-Re-seated the GFX
-Daisy chain and seperate PCI-E cables on both PSU's
-Various driver revisions (All removed using DDU in safemode)
-Tried different VGA cables (Display port / HDMI)
-Secure boot on/off (Read somewhere that it can possibly affect things)

I feel that i may be missing something simple, but just cant seem to get it working. Ive got another RMA lined up (They are going to test the card on an AMD system to check to see if its a compatabilty issue) but i feel the card will be coming back to me with them saying all is working fine. I thought i would post here and see if anyone had a similar issue or any ideas on what it could be. I have the spare funds to purchase a new PSU or MB but feel reluctant to do so if it aint gona fix the problem. My gut tells me its a PSU or MB problem but cant be sure, any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Jan 12, 2019
Narrowed it down a bit, managed to get a hold of another system (a bit old but works well) and im having zero issues with the display. Tried with my two PSU's just to make sure it wasnt them all works ok with them in the other system. I then tried my monitor (its a Samsung 32" 1440p 10bit) on the other pc with the vega and it works like a charm so it cant be the monitor or the cables.

Specs of the other pc:
Window 10 64-bit
MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD FX8350 (no OC)
RAM: 8GB AMD Gamer DDR3 2400mhz (2x4GB)
SND: Onboard HD Audio
SSD: 1x Cruical 250GB / 1x Corasir 120GB
PSU: Cougar 1050W / Corsair RM750W

At this point it surely has to be the Motherboard!? I did also try my system without my Scarlett 2i4 just incase it was causing problems and made no difference. I think i may just take the plunge and order a new MB, i mean the B350 seems to work fine with my R9 290 so i can just use it for parts for another machine, so dont really feel like trying to RMA the board.

Jan 12, 2019
Well not good news im afraid. New MB arrvied today, put it in the system, took my time to clean everything and make sure all was seated and plugged in correctly. Still the same issue.... Plug the 290 back in and all is fine. Overclockers wont refund me becuase the card works in another system. So im stumped as to where to go from here.

Also got a few nice BSOD the day, (Multiple_IRP_complete_Request) not sure what its related to though.

Jan 12, 2019
Update for you, it was the GPU ive now got a Sapphire Vega 64 in my system all is working fine, apparently an intermittent problem with the GPU.

Solution

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

That's great to hear.