[SOLVED] Asus Strix Z370-E Not Detecting M.2 SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Costanzo

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I purchased an Intel M.2 PCIE x4 SSD and installed it into slot: M.2_1, which is the default PCIE slot for m.2 drives.

The BIOS, Disk Manager and other tools will not detect the hard drive.
I have tried changing the BIOS setting from Auto to manually setting it to PCIE.
I have nothing in SATA_1, knowing that M.2_1 shares SATA slots with it.
I also have nothing in SATA_5/6 knowing that setting M.2_2 disables those two slots.
I have also tried Placing it into M.2_2 and setting it to x4, also with no luck.

This is my second drive from newegg because I thought the first one was dead.
What am I missing?

Current config:
Scl3E.png

mbziE.png

Solution
Guide to install Windows 10 on NVMe M.2 boot drive:

The NVMe M.2 drive should be the only storage drive connected.

NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module, Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM. Make sure it is disabled.

Click on the secure boot option below and make sure it is set to another OS, not windows UEFI.

Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too...

NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module, Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM. Make sure it is disabled.

Click on the secure boot option below and make sure it is set to another OS, not windows UEFI.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit, Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reactions: sanilmahambre
Solution

Tony Costanzo

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit, Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

So what you're saying is that I cannot install a PCIE SSD to an existing windows install...?
I'd basically be on a fresh windows install?

Nov 11, 2019
I have a similar problem. I have already installed windows on my NVME drive, but after I flashed bios, it no longer boots from it and it doesn't show up under boot options. The old bios was version 1201, and the one I flashed to is 1404.
I tried following the above guide, with the exception that instead of choosing to install windows, I tried to choose repair tried different options with no luck.
I only have the one drive installed, is there a way to avoid having to install windows all over and all the work that comes with that?

Specs:
Asus X570-E
Ryzen 7 - 3700
Corsair MP600 1TB

Status
Not open for further replies.