Question Asus Strix Z690-A long boot times ?

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
So I posted a week or so ago about how my boot times doubled with a samsung evo 860 after upgrading from asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 to the z690. Went from 40 seconds to 1:40
Well I just installed a wd black sn850 2tb and still getting the 1:40+ boot times even after several clean Windows installs with both ahci and the Intel rapid raid drivers (without doing a raid setup).

Anyone got any idea as to the cause ? I tried the default motherboard settings as well as custom ones so what am I missing since others are able to boot in 10 seconds or less ?

Oh yeah, I am getting the boot times from the "IObit Advanced SystemCare Pro" app.

So I posted a week or so ago about how my boot times doubled with a samsung evo 860 after upgrading from asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 to the z690. Went from 40 seconds to 1:40
Well I just installed a wd black sn850 2tb and still getting the 1:40+ boot times even after several clean Windows installs with both ahci and the Intel rapid raid drivers (without doing a raid setup).

Anyone got any idea as to the cause ? I tried the default motherboard settings as well as custom ones so what am I missing since others are able to boot in 10 seconds or less ?

Oh yeah, I am getting the boot times from the "IObit Advanced SystemCare Pro" app.
Obvious question; why the app on a brand new motherboard? Did you try motherboard default settings, fresh windows install and NO app?

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Well other than the fact it's the only program i've ever seen that notifies me of how long the process of windows booting up takes it only makes sense that I do the test under a normal startup procedure that includes all the bootable optimizers/firewalls/driver/software updaters and even armorycrate. that said with everything other than avg itself disabled I am still looking at a 45 second timeframe between the windows loading screen and the Avg boot notification while taskmanger shows minimal activity on cpu/gpu/drive long before my desktop icons are fully loaded kind of feels like windows is trying to fill a schoolbus but has to deal with a special needs kid halfway through the loading process

Oh yeah guess i should mention that according to the taskmanager it takes the bios 25 seconds to boot before windows even starts to load however i am going to time it with a stopwatch because it feels like it takes less than 12

Last edited:
On some systems, AVG itself can increase boot time considerably, or at least it did when I was sorting out a friend's PC a few years ago.
I uninstalled AVG completely and the PC booted in to Windows much faster.

You may want to give that a try and see if it fixes the issue. If it does and you're running Windows 10, you don't really need a third-party antivirus as Windows Defender is now very effective. That's all I've been using since switching to Windows 10 and I've never had cause to regret it.

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Will give it a try can you suggest another program that calculates windows load time or does the one in task manager for bios actually calculate the bios and windows together