Asus Supercomputer Motherboard Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]fooldog01[/nom]Go read up about CUDA. You will probably get it then.[/citation]
Everyone will use some sort of "CUDA", so CUDA itself is no game changing since all others will support as well. Think time is better spent looking at cost/performance and other features.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
[citation][nom]crisisavatar[/nom]Everyone will use some sort of "CUDA", so CUDA itself is no game changing since all others will support as well. Think time is better spent looking at cost/performance and other features.[/citation]

I was just explaining why this thing is "super" and doesnt have dual sockets.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
3 way sli x16 seems pretty super and 7 pcie x16 slots lol the board is crowded as shit either way.

But it's super because you shove 12gigs in it and 4 nvidia quarto cards and then you got some serious gpgpu power in there and one hell of an electric bill

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]crisisavatar[/nom]Everyone will use some sort of "CUDA", so CUDA itself is no game changing since all others will support as well. Think time is better spent looking at cost/performance and other features.[/citation]
Yup, all the other companies are going for OpenCL, Nvidia just wanted to pretend they had something special by rushing their closed format out the door.

This product is a unique product attempting to market as a gimmick.

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
With an nforce 200 chipset, I can finally install that rotisserie feature in my tower and have a roast fully cooked in under an hour.

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hey why aren't the comments in the same areas as their authors (not separated by that little line)? This 'style' as it were is more confuss-ed.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]I am wondering when asus will support my p5n-d board with windows 7 drivers. My cd will not work on 7.. I cant find anything.. is it too early??[/citation]
Use xp or vista installs from their website cd are lame until it works.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i thought that with the new technology like OpenCL and Cloud Computing, PCs would be replaced by server racks.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I swear I'll kill a baby kitten the next time I hear someone talk about clouds and computers like its remotely new or novel just because a new name got tagged to it.

OK...maybe not...but I'll deny it treats for 3 days!

In any case, a few people nailed it. The point of this rig is to put as much GPU power on a single board as possible (within reason) to use as a "super workstation".

Niche? Sure, but the idea's solid either way for the very few apps out there that will currently take full advantage of it.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I always thought mainboards could use more PCIe slots...
If you need several video cards and some 8x PCIe SAS RAID controllers, this one can do the job.
Having just one CPU socket is not fine with me, after all it's Intel's Core i7, and up to 24GB. Do you really need twice that?

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I meant "Having just one CPU socket is fine with me"...

I know, i should have checked twice... knowing there's no EDIT button...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hmm .. 7x 4850 and some custom drivers to make em work in 7xcf - then I'm sure even the fastest desktop cpu would need a water chiller to satiate the cards ... and probably you'd need a peltier built into the psu to avoid it overheating too!
On a more serious note - I wonder why they didn't just add 5 pcie slots (4 for graphics 1 for raid) and made room for another cpu socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.