ASUS surge protection triggered

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I finally got my new gaming PC up and running. It's been running fine for about 4-5 days now.

I usually leave it running all night. I set the ASUS AI Suite 3 power settings to turn the monitor off in 30 minutes.

Now earlier today, around 1:00 PM I go upstairs to use it and I find this black screen that has a big red logo on it saying America Megatrends and it says something about a power surge was protected and the ASUS protection was triggered. I was a little freaked out so I hit the power button in the back and turned the system off. Then used the power switch located at the front to turn it back on.

This is the first time I have ever had this happen and I haven't had this computer that long. About 2 weeks or so. Also I am not using some kind of cheap piece of junk power supply. My PSU is an EVGA 750 G2. It's a gold 80+ rated PSU.

It has OVP, UVP, OPP, SCP and OCP.

Also I noticed when using my computer at certain points in some games the lights flicker a bit in my room during a lot of action on screen and during frame rate drops and the game stutters a little bit. It's not a dimming but a really fast flicker. Like blinking your eyes. The light level doesn't drop all that much it seems but it is noticeable.

I am worried I might have PSU problems and or electrical issues. I don't want to burn down my house or destroy my expensive hardware. I spent $1,250 on this PC hardware. The PSU was $110.

My other specs are

Windows 10 64 bit home

Intel i7 6700 Skylake

16GB DDR4 RAM

MSI R9 390 I use the stock speed. I haven't overclocked it yet.

I can send the PSU back with an RMA. I am still within the 30 day return limit with Newegg and EVGA says the PSU has a 10 year warranty. I have no idea what to do with electrical problems. I guess call an electrician. All I wanted to do was build a sweet gaming rig and play some games at max settings. This whole experience has been a real pain in the rear. LOL