[SOLVED] Asus Surge Protection triggered

njebs_mac

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019
Relevant Hardware

Asus m5a78l-usb3

Aerocool Intergrator 500W 80+ Bronze

I don't have an external surge protection appliance nor a secondary PSU or someone to borrow from.

I powered on my PC and during boot, I bumped it a bit. That was when the American Megatrends screen popped up with the title message. I went into the bios, checked the boot drive was detected and proceeded with startup.

However, to my surprise, the asus splashcreen appeared and a black screen with an empty command line followed. My PC did not do anything apart from this and proceeded to display a black screen.

I don't know where to begin to find a fix: should I RMA my mb or psu or both? Is it a bug? Flash the BIOS? None of the threads I've been to have described my situation. Please help.

Edit: I have overclocked my system. My FX 4300 to 4.1gHz and I used wattman to oc my r9 290x to a 1% frequency boost and 1275mHz on the memory clock

Solution
There's a little clip that holds the battery in place ,push it aside with a screwdriver,it will pop out. Leave it for about 5min out of there,also push the power button from the case for about 30sec within those 5min,then put it back. Do this with the pc from the power so cable out of the wallsocket.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think you're pushing that psu with your system. And overclocking as well doesn't make it better. I would just get a better psu and try again

What mostly happens when Asus Antisurge is triggered is that one of the psu rails is detected to be out of spec,means they have to be operating within certain parameters.

maybe that doing a clear cmos and taking the psu of the power for some time (out of the wallplug) might fix it for now,but i would get a better psu. Doing the clear cmos will undo the overclock on the cpu,but also undo the overclock on the gpu.

njebs_mac

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019

I realised after a while that I probably shouldn't of OC'd, so thanks for the confirmation.

On the subject of clearing CMOS, I've had a little trouble. I know the CMOS is that battery on the MB but I don't exactly know how to remove it, or how long to keep it out before replacing it.

On the subject of PSUs, I was thinking of getting an RMA on the PSU and giving up on overclocking as a better PSU isn't in my budget. Additionally, I've left the wall socket switched off for about a day since my post. I'll try when I get the chance.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
There's a little clip that holds the battery in place ,push it aside with a screwdriver,it will pop out. Leave it for about 5min out of there,also push the power button from the case for about 30sec within those 5min,then put it back. Do this with the pc from the power so cable out of the wallsocket.

Solution

njebs_mac

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019

I have a British socket so I'm able to switch the socket off completely, which is equivalent to unplugging the PC.

Otherwise thank you, I'll try when I get to my PC.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That's good to hear! :D

What i meant with this btw is that you need to undo that overclock as well,guess you use MSI afterburner or similar,but do undo the gpu overclock as well for best stability.

And you're welcome.:)