retepallen

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Hey all,

Ive just built a computer for my GF using:

E6400, 1gb Ram, 7600GT on an Asus T3 - P5G965 barebones unit.

Link here.

It all works fine except for one thing.

The fan speed on the CPU seems incredibly noisy. When using Q Fan and Speedfan, neither detect the CPU fan speed so i can throttle it down.

I know the Core 2 Duo fans use a 4 pin connector, Yellow and Black for power, Blue for pulse (monitor) and Green for fan speed. All 4 pins connect into the motherboard and ive got Q fan enabled in the bios, but even there it doesnt show the fan speed. It has a line for it within the bios, so i presume it should record it and throttle down. CPU temperature is running at about 30 degrees (90F) with the noisy fan going, so temp isnt an issue.

Is there something i'm missing and im being really dumb? or could there be a problem with the motherboard that i should RMA?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Hey all,

Ive just built a computer for my GF using:

E6400, 1gb Ram, 7600GT on an Asus T3 - P5G965 barebones unit.

Link here.

It all works fine except for one thing.

The fan speed on the CPU seems incredibly noisy. When using Q Fan and Speedfan, neither detect the CPU fan speed so i can throttle it down.

I know the Core 2 Duo fans use a 4 pin connector, Yellow and Black for power, Blue for pulse (monitor) and Green for fan speed. All 4 pins connect into the motherboard and ive got Q fan enabled in the bios, but even there it doesnt show the fan speed. It has a line for it within the bios, so i presume it should record it and throttle down. CPU temperature is running at about 30 degrees (90F) with the noisy fan going, so temp isnt an issue.

Is there something i'm missing and im being really dumb? or could there be a problem with the motherboard that i should RMA?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Have you checked the CPU temp? Maybe the fan is high because the temp is high. The CPU temp might be high if your heat sink isn't seated correctly. Make sure all 4 feet are secure. If one is not mounted correctly, that'll cant the heatsink, not giving it an even, flat contact. The stock heatsinks really suck to try and mount. I find myself wincing, waiting for something to break, with all the force that's necessary to seat the clips.

Now since it's a 965 chipset, I believe it should have Intel's throttle control setup. It kicks the multiplier back to 6x at idle, pulls CPU voltage and slows the fan. I think it's called EIST(Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology), or something like that. If it's enabled, you don't need Q-fan.

Silly question...are you sure the CPU fan is plugged into the correct port? It'll probably be the only receptacle with 4 pins.

I'm not there to diagnose what the problem is, so I've given you a couple of places to look.

Good luck.

retepallen

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

I re-seated the CPU, made sure it was plugged in properly and reseated the HSF.

With it being a barebones, it doesnt plug into the standard fan. It comes with a nice heatpipe setup built into the case with a 92mm fan at the front end blowing across it.

Ive got the throttle control and q fan on. CPU temp it about 4 degrees above the motherboard temperature, so overheating isnt an issue. (temps always in low 30 degrees centigrade)

Theres no problems with temps or anything. Just that it wont tell me the fan speed to clock itself down. From the link i put above, its advertised as being able to do that to make it nice and quiet. But its sitting at about 60dB with the fan on max and its a bit annoying.

I wonder whether to just RMA it and have it checked. Scan where i got it from is about 10 miles away. but its not open sundays which sucks.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

I re-seated the CPU, made sure it was plugged in properly and reseated the HSF.

With it being a barebones, it doesnt plug into the standard fan. It comes with a nice heatpipe setup built into the case with a 92mm fan at the front end blowing across it.

Ive got the throttle control and q fan on. CPU temp it about 4 degrees above the motherboard temperature, so overheating isnt an issue. (temps always in low 30 degrees centigrade)

Theres no problems with temps or anything. Just that it wont tell me the fan speed to clock itself down. From the link i put above, its advertised as being able to do that to make it nice and quiet. But its sitting at about 60dB with the fan on max and its a bit annoying.

I wonder whether to just RMA it and have it checked. Scan where i got it from is about 10 miles away. but its not open sundays which sucks.
See if therer's a BIOS setting for q-fan and if there's tweaks somewhere in there...like running it at a certain percentage at a certain temp. Beyond that, I'm pretty baffled.