Asus Teases 24-Inch Monster Laptop; Making Room For A PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_tiger

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Is there really someone looking for this high end of a computer and needs it to be "compact?" This has to be targeted to the 'more money than sense' crowd.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Is there really someone looking for this high end of a computer and needs it to be "compact?"
Yes, anyone wanting to do off-site Vive demos, but only if it has one fast GPU, since SLI is useless for VR at the moment.

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Is there really someone looking for this high end of a computer and needs it to be "compact?"
Yes, anyone wanting to do off-site Vive demos, but only if it has one fast GPU, since SLI is useless for VR at the moment.
It's VERY niche but yes - for those people it makes sense
unfortunately OP has a point: most people who buy these will not need it for a good purpose - they just have more money than sense

I would say most of the time ... in the office I multitask, using both ... at home, I use either depending where I am sitting. Under none of those instances has the laptop been "on my lap". One buys a computer to fit ones needs. People however have a compelling need to put "labels" on things, and "potable desktop replacement" just doesn't work cause they don't want to use that many words. The fact that "laptop" remains in the lexicon is unusual in that, outside of planes and trains, it's rare to actually ever use it on ones lap.

A Gaming Laptop is, in essence, an oxymoron as a gaming laptop w/ any oomph will run a bit too warm for comfort on one's lap.

Among the examples would be one of our own ... We uses 17 " gaming laptops as our main tool in the field to create As-Built Drawings on construction web sites. Contrary to popular belief, peak 2D and 3D CAD performance is obtained using GTX GFX cards (not Quadro, which excels in rendering). It's used in our vehicles, it's used in office trailers, inside buildings under construction, it's used in water / wastewater and electric plants on the nearest flat surface. And as the day goes on, it may be used in a dozen different locations, some w/o power.. As opposed to an "All in One", it's also a lot easier to travel with.

As for moving to 24", I'd find that a bit unwieldy for many of the above uses, but on those site where, for example, where we had access to a 40' portable office trailer, the extra real estate (disappointed no mention of resolution) would certainly come in handy.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
If you need heavy compute power remotely then that is the case where you link to a system running VM in the public/private cloud and links just video and keyboard. That way you can have extended battery use. Yes for gaming some files would be local.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I for one wouldn't mind a 24" laptop. Or for a better term mobile workstation that you can play games on. I have used gaming rigs in the past for work quite a bit and short of the need for a dedicated high end business graphics card like a quadro or fire-pro the gaming specs work out very well for daily usability. I like larger monitors for work and package deal laptops are usually lacking in that department without going to a boutique builder. As to the need to be tied to a power outlet the ability for most of the newer cpu/gpus to scale power consumption to usage coupled with the space they have to put larger batteries in my experience has lead to pretty reasonable battery life. Not multiple days mind you but at least several hours of heavy use with 8+ of reasonable use in any class of laptop. Then again I am easily impressed in this area having grown up with laptops with great battery life only surviving for 45 minutes on battery. I don't know price point here but it is an Asus rig and the price per hardware cost should be reasonable.

Size is not the problem (24 inch monitors arent that huge, they would fit nicely in some bags), its the weight.
I have a 17,3 inch gaming laptop that I carry with me from time to time when I travel.
I could carry a 24 inch monitor (without the stand) rather easy, but when you think about the laptop+power brick+mice+cooling pad+ in my case a dedicated dac/amp... its about 10 KG...

The Wizzard

Honorable
Apr 1, 2016
Is there really someone looking for this high end of a computer and needs it to be "compact?" This has to be targeted to the 'more money than sense' crowd.

Yes - While the platform "no compromise mobile desktop" is fantastic, "more money than sense" is buying a pre-built unit instead of having a professional build one up.

My DIY AIO with an ITX case and GTX 970 on the back of a 21.5" 1080p monitor turns heads and costs no more than similarly spec'd blackbox systems.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
If you travel constantly and lug this brick around at least you will get a great workout. Can you imagine how much a PIA this would be in today's TSA lines, taking it out of the suitcase you need to have to carry it in, putting it all back in, then hoping you have overhead bin space to deadlift the darn thing up into? Nope, not for me and it just doesn't seem to make any real-world sense.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
About 10 years ago Dell put out a 18" XPS laptop, it was huge and did not sell at all (seriously, functionally no sales). I can't see how anyone would buy is hugely larger "laptop". It's going to be the size of a desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.