News Asus Teases Its First 27-Inch, OLED Gaming Monitor

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
27 inch? But why? Do people really use those tiny little things? Give me at least 32 or ah heck off.
And at least 2k (2560). Kinda silly to have a huge lowres (1920) monitor.

4K? Give me at least 55 inch. My eyes just can't deal with icons that require a microscope.

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Yes I feel the same way as some others here. 27 inches is so archaic. Obviously, it is subjective. But that is just my opinion. I don't really care about 1080p anymore. And 1440p I only use on rare occasions. I've been using 4K TVs because they're cheaper to game on than a monitor but it would be nice to see a 4K monitor that's high refresh that's a reasonable price.
I don't really understand how 60-inch 4K TVs can be cheap but you can't get a cheap 32 inch gaming monitor.

Reactions: OLED4ME

CmdrSloth

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Holy hell, TomsHardware thread comments NEVER disappoint, and this one takes the cake for the week for sure!

So this will probably be a marginal improvement over LG's own model that only hits 200 nits peak brightness.

This one is the best. It's one of those "look how smart I am" comments that fundamentally betrays an actual lack of understanding about a given tech. OLED monitors will never hit the same peak brightness at the same screen size as backlit monitors, how in the hell would you think other wise? This is coupled with the fact that it can turn off individual pixels, so it doesn't even need to hit the same nits to produce absurdly better contrast.

Why do companies keep making this silly resolution? Where are the normal, 27" or 28" oled 4k 240Hz? Not the ultrawide or curved crap btw.

It... it is a normal 27inch 240hz 1440p... it's not curved or ultrawide...

Most people do not have hardware that can push 4K at anywhere near what most people would consider acceptable frame rates.

27 inch? But why? Do people really use those tiny little things? Give me at least 32 or ah heck off.
And at least 2k (2560). Kinda silly to have a huge lowres (1920) monitor.

4K? Give me at least 55 inch. My eyes just can't deal with icons that require a microscope.

Most people aren't gaming from their couch.

27 inches is pefect when you're actually at a desk, and 1440P 27 inches eliminates any screendoor or pixel visibility.

This is a 1440p monitor. Why are you even bringing up a 1920 monitor?

Keep it up TomsHardware commentators, Ya'll will never cease to amaze me.

CmdrSloth

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Yes I feel the same way as some others here. 27 inches is so archaic. Obviously, it is subjective. But that is just my opinion. I don't really care about 1080p anymore. And 1440p I only use on rare occasions. I've been using 4K TVs because they're cheaper to game on than a monitor but it would be nice to see a 4K monitor that's high refresh that's a reasonable price.
I don't really understand how 60-inch 4K TVs can be cheap but you can't get a cheap 32 inch gaming monitor.

The only thing that can push 4k at any where near acceptable frames is a 4090, which most people don't have, so what in the world is the need for a 4k high refresh screen?

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
This one is the best. It's one of those "look how smart I am" comments that fundamentally betrays an actual lack of understanding about a given tech. OLED monitors will never hit the same peak brightness at the same screen size as backlit monitors, how in the hell would you think other wise? This is coupled with the fact that it can turn off individual pixels, so it doesn't even need to hit the same nits to produce absurdly better contrast.
I understand that OLEDs will be dimmer than backlit monitors and I'm not just disappointed by the brightness in comparison to LCDs. 200 nits at 25% APL SDR is low even compared to other OLEDs with similar pixel density and aperture ratios. Sony's 42" OLED gets 50% brighter in the same conditions and is nearly identical in terms of PPI.

Perfect black levels only give you infinite contrast when there's actually black on the screen, which isn't always the case. Plus that contrast is only perceivable when the viewing environment is tightly light controlled.

The only thing that can push 4k at any where near acceptable frames is a 4090, which most people don't have, so what in the world is the need for a 4k high refresh screen?
The LG version of this panel is $1000 and the Asus sure won't be cheaper. Most people aren't spending that much on a monitor and if they are I sure hope they're spending similar amounts or more on their GPU.

Wrss

Prominent
Dec 19, 2021
This one is the best. It's one of those "look how smart I am" comments that fundamentally betrays an actual lack of understanding about a given tech. OLED monitors will never hit the same peak brightness at the same screen size as backlit monitors, how in the hell would you think other wise?
I'm not sure you understand the tech that well, either. Power delivery is the main problem. Why else do you think an LG C1 OLED can sustain over 700 nits in a small white box anywhere but drops to 130 nits when that box expands to the full display? Heck, decent OLED phone displays have been able to sustain 600 nits over a full 6" diagonal for years, right?

Phones and TVs currently use completely different OLED designs (and the recent QD-OLED is different once again). Samsung phone OLEDs are directly emissive in RGB, while LG's TV OLEDs are white emissive and then statically filtered in alternating WRGB similar to LCDs. This is cheaper but obviously less efficient and less durable for the same brightness, yet accomplishes the infinite contrast bit. LED backlighting, as everyone knows, loses half its light going through polarization and then another 2/3 through the color filters, and while the efficiency/longevity of basic white LED is so far ahead that it overcomes these major losses, the maximum brightness whether over a small section or over the full screen becomes the same, as the backlight is always on.

Despite all this, current OLED TV tech is plenty adequate to achieve, say, 500 nits full screen, which if you bother to check, most cheap LCD TVs cannot do. The annoying 130 or 150 nits ABL when trying to use OLED TVs as a monitor is because of skimping on the power delivery. The panel is already much more expensive than LED/LCD; manufacturers are reticent to add several hundred $ just for a beefy power supply, frontal anode, and all the required airflow for the panel to conduct hundreds of amps without overheating.

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I'm sure it will it is a gaming display. Mostly a meaningless term like military grade, all it does is add to the price.
Actually your semi incorrect, for something to actually be military grade (not fake military grade) it generally has extremely rigid testing requirements that far exceed typical consumer gear. Electronics for instance generally have redundancies and much much higher protection against interference and environmental issues.

But generally this stuff is very low volume thus making it massively more expensive, also manufacturers ripping people off.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Actually your semi incorrect, for something to actually be military grade (not fake military grade) it generally has extremely rigid testing requirements that far exceed typical consumer gear. Electronics for instance generally have redundancies and much much higher protection against interference and environmental issues.

But generally this stuff is very low volume thus making it massively more expensive, also manufacturers ripping people off.
He's not talking about actual military grade products. Jump on Amazon and search for military grade. You will get results ranging from socks to bicycle locks and cell phone cases to glow sticks, none of them actual military grade. What on earth is a military grade glow stick? Military grade attached to all of those products is meaningless and just a way to charge more for nothing.

Reactions: thisisaname