Asus Teases Stylish BDXL Burner with 6x Max Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Acer claims that a 25 GB BD-R (SL) disc can be filled and closed in just 23.39 minutes at 6X speed -- other 2X models out on the market today completes the same disc in 45.29 minutes.

I thought we were talking about Asus no ?

brotoles

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I would advise strongly against buying Asus optical storage products. The support is simply abismal.. I have a BluRay drive (BC-08B1ST) from them, and it doesn't read some of my BluRay discs, which in turn are read fine by other drives...

I tried contacting them, and it seems they don't understand that the problem is a firmware update issue, instead they said i should RMA the drive... The drive NEVER had a single firmware update, in its entire lifespan.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]As afr as overpriced BD Burners and the blank media. You are way better off with a external Hard Drive or two for backups. If for some reason you require packs and packs of BD media to back your stuff up you are probably breaking the law.[/citation]

Or you are a content creator

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
If it had an HDMI port on it, that it would connect to a TV and also act like a slim somewhat portable bluRay player as well, that'd be really cool :)

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I bought a Asus BD burner a while back but it came without Blu-ray play back software WTH! are they thinking? You buy A BD burner ($130.00) so you can burn BD-disc's and you can but can't play them on your PC un til you buy extra software for $99.99+ more, that bites.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I suppose the only positive with that would be that if you plan on using it for backup only and will not use Blu-ray playback, then you are saving $100 by it being separate. Granted, if they could provide a bundled version for like $180 [I'm assuming they could get volume licensing at wholesale pricing], then that would be great too.

Atleast when you see the two on the shelf at the store you can see the difference and know that you want the more expensive one if you plan on using playback and don't already have the software [maybe from an internal drive]...

hellinstic

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]As afr as overpriced BD Burners and the blank media. You are way better off with a external Hard Drive or two for backups. If for some reason you require packs and packs of BD media to back your stuff up you are probably breaking the law.[/citation]

I disagree with you and this is why. I typically can eat up between 7GB to 32GB in one photo-shoot. I used 16 and 32 gig CF & SD cards with my Canon 5D Mark III, which is a 22.3megapixel camera. I shoot RAW (.CR2) only so the file size varies between 22mb to 35mb with an average of 25mb. I just did a Sweet 15 photo-shoot and I took 817 images and deleted 98 right off the bat. That left me with 729 total images that consumed 19GB of space. For a wedding, I can fill up two or three 32gig cards depending on the size of the wedding and the size of the reception. Potentially, I can get very close to 100gigs worth of images taken in one whole day between myself, a second and third photographer. Before I even edit the images, I make two copies onto other CF cards, and a couple of copies on my computer and I lock up the original CF cards.

I buy new CF cards often for storage purposes, because they hold a lot and take little room and they are fairly robust. Hard drives tend to be fragile and SSD drives are still not quite cost effective. A BDXL disc should be fairly cheap or close to the cost of the current Blue Ray disc, and I would expect them to be much cheaper that CF cards that I keep on buying.

Just because someone needs packs and pages of BD Media does not mean that are breaking the law. There are legitimate uses other than copying overpriced movies from Hollywood.

TehJinX

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
john_4 said:
As afr as overpriced BD Burners and the blank media. You are way better off with a external Hard Drive or two for backups. If for some reason you require packs and packs of BD media to back your stuff up you are probably breaking the law.

Won't some people ever learn?

So, if according to this theory, you only need 100 GB disks if you are storing illegal media, what shall site owners do every time they want to make regular backups? buy a couple of external hard disks every now and then and rent a garage to store them? Hey, a storehouse full of weekly external hard disks, why not!

Because of visionary people like John_4, computer users have repeatedly been stuck with memory barriers. Some John_4 back in 1998 thought we would never need disks larger than 64GB or address more than 4 GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.