Asus Teases Z87 Motherboards With M&Ms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I wonder if they will be backward compatible with the Ivory Bridge and Sandy Bridge processor ???[/citation]
The new motherboards are Socket 1150. SB and IV need socket 1155, so they aren't compatible.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I wonder if they will be backward compatible with the Ivory Bridge and Sandy Bridge processor ???[/citation]
Sounds more like a chocolate than a processor...

Anyway, as for the second picture the exposed pins on it remind me a lot of the way the secondary connector next to the USB interface on my H100i looks.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I really hope Haswell's performance is quite a decent boost. I'm itching to make a new rig my i7 950 and 920 rigs are generations behind now and I still have little reason to upgrade.

[citation][nom]heero yuy[/nom]wait... 5 pins les I thought processors were increasing in pins why are they going backwards o_O[/citation]
Chances are they removed some pins that have been redundant(extra unused ground ect). They do not need more pins unless they plan to have more features like the triple and quad channel memory on lga 1366 and lga 2011.

The change more then anything prevents installation of a cpu that will not work.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
PS4 is coming, my 5 year old AMD Tricore will keep on trucking all there is to do. Just add RAM and SSD and maybe a good videocard if you care to play Tombraider. EA and Activision have singlehandedly destroyed the drive behind PC gaming, stumping innovation. Nothing to see here, moving right along.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I really hope Haswell's performance is quite a decent boost. I'm itching to make a new rig my i7 950 and 920 rigs are generations behind now and I still have little reason to upgrade.[/citation]
Unfortunately Haswell won't be a decent CPU boost, as the tech is going into integrated graphics HD 4600. A total waste for us enthusiasts running discrete GPU's. The future is dark... hardware and software(Win8) :(

Metroidam11

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
The second image leaves me clueless. I would really like to know what it is! My guess is something that would go on your desk. Maybe a WiFi extender or an audio controller? June is too far away!

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]Metroidam11[/nom]The second image leaves me clueless. I would really like to know what it is! My guess is something that would go on your desk. Maybe a WiFi extender or an audio controller? June is too far away![/citation]

Maybe its a revision of ROG's OC key.

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Chances are they removed some pins that have been redundant(extra unused ground ect). They do not need more pins unless they plan to have more features like the triple and quad channel memory on lga 1366 and lga 2011.The change more then anything prevents installation of a cpu that will not work.[/citation]
Change of pins because the VRM is build into the CPU. Not because it's redundant and if that is, then all the ground pins on the CPU socket are redundant.

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]Metroidam11[/nom]The second image leaves me clueless. I would really like to know what it is! My guess is something that would go on your desk. Maybe a WiFi extender or an audio controller? June is too far away![/citation]
Maybe it's a next revision of ROG's OC key.

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Chances are they removed some pins that have been redundant(extra unused ground ect). They do not need more pins unless they plan to have more features like the triple and quad channel memory on lga 1366 and lga 2011.The change more then anything prevents installation of a cpu that will not work.[/citation]

Change a number of pins is due to VRM being build into the CPU, not because of extra unused ground.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Anyway, as for the second picture the exposed pins on it remind me a lot of the way the secondary connector next to the USB interface on my H100i looks.[/citation]

I was thinking the same sorta thing. Maybe it'll read measurements or something?

Is Asus teaming up with Mars, Inc. to blow our minds? Doubt it. But I could sure eat some chocolate now.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Change of pins because the VRM is build into the CPU. Not because it's redundant and if that is, then all the ground pins on the CPU socket are redundant.[/citation]
While putting the VRM on-package reduces the number of Vcc/ground pins required for power, high-speed IOs still require nearly as many ground pins as there are IOs to mitigate noise from ground loops. Packages featuring large amounts of IO are going to continue having an equally large amount of ground pins for the foreseeable future.

The few fewer pins likely came out of the Vcc budget since less than half as much current is required assuming the VRM is fed from 3.3V or ~1/10th as much if fed from 12V.

Doyle Kimbly

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
anybody seen ASUS Maximus V Extreme website? there is a little thing called OC key which is similar in shape as in the 2nd picture above. maybe something like that? to me, that is the closest answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.