Question Asus Thor 850W Platinum Power Supply Sparked And Smoked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2022
What Happened?

Yesterday, It was a normal day of using my PC. Considering it has been working for few months no issue, I thought there would be nothing wrong. I turned on my PC and all the RGB all light up for about 2-3 seconds - Then I saw sparks and heard a loud bang coming from the PSU. Then all the power to the PSU suddenly shut off. Then I smelt smoke coming from the PSU so I turned all the switches off. I went online to see what was the issue and found out it is likely my PSU is fried or defective. I tested using another power supply I had and the motherboard doesnt seem to be turning on, so i am guessing that go fried in the process. I contacted Asus and they dont have a phone line for this sort of stuff which is poor customer service. I waited a day and got a response from them saying :

As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty. They should be able to sort this out for you. ASUS has no other policy on these devices; We cannot replace or repair these devices.
If you have any further questions feel free to contact us again.

Contacted Amazon ( where i brought it from ) they said they can replace the PSU / refund it but they will not take fault for all the other components that got fried. I contacted Asus but they are now ignoring my emails, what do I do. since its not my fault the PSU exploded like it did and fry most of my components

My System Specs:

Ryzen 9 5950X
AB-350-Gaming-3 Motherboard
2x Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram
Asus ROG Thor 850W Platinum Modular PSU
Asus Tuf RTX 3080TI

NZXT Kraken Z53 RGB Cooler
Samsung EVO 500GB NVME
128 GB SSD
1TB HHD

Crossed out are the parts that got fried due to this failure. I hope someone can help me with a solution or something or some insight if this has happened to them and what they did to resolve this issue. Seems like contacting Asus is not working anymore. Law suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.