Question Asus ThunderboltEx 3 in Asus Prime Z-270-A

Sep 13, 2020
Hello,

I really need help here. I dont understand what Im doing wrong.

I just bought an Asus ThunderboltEx 3 to get my Focusrite Clarett 8preX to be installed on my Windows 10 (Build 19041.509) on Asus Prime Z270-A.

I first installed my Asus ThunderboltEx 3 on my PCIEX_3 slot and connected it to the TB Header just on top.

kx3BIRJ.jpg

I then went into the BIOS and made those change to the advance menu - Thunderbolt submenu

ksc9Rly.jpg

IB8icq3.jpg

I then went on the Asus website and instlled the First utilitie on the ASUS website which didnt got my ThunderboltEx 3 to appear on the device manager under System Devices.

So I proceeded to install the 2 other one I found on ASUS website which didnt seem to install anything anyways.

ZhbeIvq.png

qQ2LO8U.png

I must say that at this point Im completely clueless as theres little to no documentation as to how to correctly install that ( what should be a plug and play ) device .

Can anyone give me a hand on what I missed .

Did I made a mistake in the BIOS ?

Can someone guide me or post a step by step .

I have no clue as to what to look at.

Thank you very much for your help.

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
not to sure about Thunderbolt installs but any GPU I have fitted to a PCI-E slot sometimes needs the software installed first or Windows will never recognize it.Try unseating the TB card and then replacing it ,

Sep 13, 2020
not to sure about Thunderbolt installs but any GPU I have fitted to a PCI-E slot sometimes needs the software installed first or Windows will never recognize it.Try unseating the TB card and then replacing it ,

Thanks for your answer.

I was finally able to get it to show in Device Manager.

What I did is that I put it in the PCIex16_2. Changed the bios to fit the slot. Connected the thunderbolt to Displayport cable that came with it from my Thunderboltex 3 card to my Mobo Display port input.

As my Monitor only use Display port connection, I had to boot blind. But once I knew I was in Windows, I disconected the cable and reconnected my monitor. Then the Thunderbolt card showed up..

Whats strange is that if I connect one of my USB Drive in the ThunderboltEx 3 card , it get recognized right away.

But Once I reboot and have nothing connected to the Thunderbolt connection on my TB Card, the Thunderbolt device disapear from the Device Manager.

Its weird because it get recognized like its a removable device while in reality its on it socket and receive USB connection with no issues.

I hope my Focusrite Clarett 8preX will work when I receive it but I seriously doubt it.