Asus to Launch Ultra-thin Notebooks, 45nm CULV

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

these new Pentiem not the old 'pentium..
its way faster than Atom in most of benchmark..

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Nope... If I can get low budget laptop with netbook battery life and size, I see a real winner here. The pentium dual core is a very capable chip, well better than atom anyway... I just hope they slow them to 1.0Ghz or something, because it will be pointless...

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
I'd call it ultra thin if they can make a laptop embedded into sunglasses with brain wave as the input or a wrist-strapped device. That's be cool. Then again, people might be browsing the net or reading eBooks while driving. Ugh.

G

mcnuggetofdeath: Nehalem based Atoms? Pictures or it didn't happen. Is this supposedly happening at the 22nm node?

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]sot010174[/nom]Nope... If I can get low budget laptop with netbook battery life and size, I see a real winner here. The pentium dual core is a very capable chip, well better than atom anyway... I just hope they slow them to 1.0Ghz or something, because it will be pointless...[/citation]

1.2GHz for the SU2300.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]sot010174[/nom]Nope... If I can get low budget laptop with netbook battery life and size, I see a real winner here. The pentium dual core is a very capable chip, well better than atom anyway... I just hope they slow them to 1.0Ghz or something, because it will be pointless...[/citation]

1.2GHz for the SU2300.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Sorry for double post. Didn't show when I posted the first time. I refreshed three times just to make sure, but after posting again, they both show up ... bah.

Anyways, I was hoping for something faster than 1.2GHz, but the SU2300 will still be a fair shake better than that celeron. We'll have to see how well they reduce the price of these.

G

They could technically create a mini netbook 10 or 11" with the celeron processor.
Wouldn't want to pay more than $400 for it though!
$700 gives me a 2Ghz core2duo.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Idk I kinda thought that this past couple months was the intro of the affordable ultralight or ultraportable laptop. The acer timeline series/lenovo U350/MSI X340/X320 and even the ASUS UL30A-X1 which seems to be this mistery ultraprotable on newegg that no one has reviewed. I mean the Cele 743 and su2300 are just add ons/uprgades to the SU2700/3500/9400 that have been out in time for back to school. Dells 11z uses the 723 and was overpriced at 399 much less the jump to 450 due the horrible battery. Asus has been a little late in my opinion but the UL30A is available

I think I will buy the acer 1410 which has just come about with a 11.6 inch su3500/gma4500m with 6hr battery all for $450. It will be a nice upgrade from my msi wind. I will wait to see what apple comes out with but I'm pretty sure I wont be buying whatever it is.

iquark

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]radguy[/nom]...I think I will buy the acer 1410 which has just come about with a 11.6 inch su3500/gma4500m with 6hr battery all for $450. It will be a nice upgrade from my msi wind. I will wait to see what apple comes out with but I'm pretty sure I wont be buying whatever it is.[/citation]

I love my new Acer 1410, about 5-7 hours of battery (from heavy use to just non-flash internet) and it runs everything I need a laptop to run. The free upgrade to Win7, and the su3500 are really what attracted me to it. An 11.6" netbook body with lower-end laptop internals. All this for 387$ with bing cashback made it too good to pass up.

I really wonder if the su2300 will be able to run youtube/hulu hd flash since even the su3500 has a hard time with some videos. I know the celey 723 won't run it even with a higher TDP!

I'm glad the notebook makers are finally entering the ultra-thin-ultra-portable market aggressively this fall. UTUP's are what a good portion of people want after using atom netbooks now anyway!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]They could technically create a mini netbook 10 or 11" with the celeron processor.Wouldn't want to pay more than $400 for it though!$700 gives me a 2Ghz core2duo.[/citation]

$1300 gives me i7/ 1gb 4870, new mobo/psu/dvd drive/hdd/lots more...
It's portable enough, I've lugged it arond (it only weighs about 35 lbs).

I work at a technology center associated with a large university. After reading this article I went and checked a few departments. Just about all of the staff and students use standard laptops only if they have too. A few use notebooks. All of them preferred desktop pc's with large monitors.

The notebooks I saw looked very small compared to the large screen displays. I also found two netbooks. They're even smaller. Might as well just use a cell phone to access the net.

G

Johnny Lucky--

Don't forget in the case if the 400 dollar acer 1410 it has an hdmi port so you can drive a 28 inch screen if you want...people use desktops for power not because they prefer larger screens only.

Status
Not open for further replies.