Question Asus TP200 S welding an M2 SSD?

May 3, 2020
Hi guys. I have an Asus TP200s transformer book and I need to upgrade this little <Mod Edit for Language> cause when system (windows 10) upgrade starts, it fail cause of not enough space (only 32gb onboard SSD).
So Aida 64 say I have an extra PCI Express 4 and it's not use.
I happy so much until open the laptop. When I open it yes i see a connection but without a slot.

https://imguh.com/image/O13Gi
https://imguh.com/image/O1HRO

So I have one solution left. I can weld an M2 (B&M key) Samsung Evo 860 SSD to this slot but I can't solve pinout both PCI on board and SSD. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, the proper way is to just change the SSD you have to a larger one.
It is not sufficient to only add a PCIe header and stick a device in it. If the header is not present on the board, all the supporting components are probably not there too. What you see is a hardware capability to have another PCIe slot, but that does not mean that only the header is missing.

Reactions: Ubr7
May 3, 2020
Hello, the proper way is to just change the SSD you have to a larger one.
It is not sufficient to only add a PCIe header and stick a device in it. If the header is not present on the board, all the supporting components are probably not there too. What you see is a hardware capability to have another PCIe slot, but that does not mean that only the header is missing.
Nope mate. Firstly The problem, SSD is onboard and meaning "unchangeable" and secondly yes some guy did it actually and they don't share this info 😉
Watch it but unfortunately turkish
View: https://youtu.be/-LMxUXa6Gsk

Well... don’t take my word for it... Feel free to try. This is the header you need.
I do not understand Turkish, but it looks like the header is not the only thing that is missing and I strongly discourage you from doing direct soldering of the SSD w/o a header like this guy did - you can do more damage than good.

Edit: pasted wrong link, corrected

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubr7

USAFRet

Titan
"an extra PCI Express 4 and it's not use. "

The 860 EVO you're referring to is a SATA drive, not PCIe.
Won't work #1

What makes you think the BIOS can talk to a storage device in that interface? Just because it states PCIe 4 does not mean it can actually talk to a storage device.
Won't work #2

Move some data off to a microSD card.
Will probably work #1

(I have 2x Transformers...1 with a 32GB and 1 with a 64GB. They are what they are)

But, if you've found some guy that has actually done and documented it...do it exactly like he did.

May 3, 2020
Well... don’t take my word for it... Feel free to try. This is the header you need.
I do not understand Turkish, but it looks like the header is not the only thing that is missing and I strongly discourage you from doing direct soldering of the SSD w/o a header like this guy did - you can do more damage than good.

Edit: pasted wrong link, corrected
Thanks for helping but I only need to know is which SSD pin connect which PCI pin. I have beautiful equipments to do this.

May 3, 2020
"an extra PCI Express 4 and it's not use. "

The 860 EVO you're referring to is a SATA drive, not PCIe.
Won't work #1

What makes you think the BIOS can talk to a storage device in that interface? Just because it states PCIe 4 does not mean it can actually talk to a storage device.
Won't work #2

Move some data off to a microSD card.
Will probably work #1

(I have 2x Transformers...1 with a 32GB and 1 with a 64GB. They are what they are)

But, if you've found some guy that has actually done and documented it...do it exactly like he did.
Actually if it's a science, yes it will work couse somebody do this at a same pc and it's msata SSD. There is so many convertors to PCIe to SSD and if it's works soldering will work too. Only knowlage is which pin connect to which pin. That's all.
I have Evo 860 B and M key M2 SSD and my empty without socket slot is PCIe 4.
C'mon guys it's not that hard.

May 3, 2020
PCIe to SATA is more than just pin to pin.
There is actual chips and firmware involved in the conversion.
Ok but this can't explain how they did it without any hardware and software. If you watch it, you can clearly see that Msata HDD connect this slot only cables and soldering.