ASUS TPU and EPU? What exactly is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
OK, so I got this ASUS motherboard with a TPU and EPU dip switch on the motherboard. It comes default Disabled.

What exactly is this supposed to do to make your system faster by 37% and cheaper by 80% as it says in the web site.
http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Dual_Intelligent_Processors/

That sounds kind of like something that you wouldn't even bother putting a switch on the motherboard for if it's so great. Should I Enable both of them or what? And is there a reason for leaving it Disabled?

alphaproject

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I myself would like to know whether or not to use them...I know they enable some pretty green lights...but you are right...if they are so great...why must they be enabled? You'd think they would just put this feature on the higher end boards and leave it at that. I did however put them both on and ran some benchmarks and the memory bandwidth and i5 core ran some sick benchmarks compared to other systems with the same chip but different mobos.

Randum

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I was looking for an answer to this exact question.. I assume the TPU enables the "Turbo" on your CPU, the power one I would assume is just for lower power consumption for saving trees?

skunkz68

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Tpu will over clock your system to a stable mode and will change your settings automatically even if you change them. I had issue with that caused my cpu to overheat. Epu engery efficet mode when your not demands a lot out of it.

Yumi1996

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

I am getting some very high temperatures with Tpu enabled. It even hits 90 with a stock cooler when all I am doing is playing borderlands. Did you just disable it and solve the problem?

sheehan469

Honorable
Feb 13, 2015

Hey, I just stumbled across this and I know you posted it a month ago but I just wanted to say your /really/ shouldn't overclock with just a stock cooler, you're gonna overheat no matter how you go about it that way. Get an aftermarket cooler, maybe try liquid cooling or s/t but don't do it before then for sure.

JustyTiger

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
APU processors come with a 'Stock' and a 'Turbo' mode. The TPU switch (as mentioned above by skunks68) is a basic Over-clock that will make your CPU run a bit harder with the flick-of-a-switch for a more 'user-friendly' achievement using the systems recommended settings.
EPU is an Energy efficient setting that makes your system run at a lower speed to save power. Eg core voltage dropping and fan speed lowering. Note that your CPU will not over heat with this setting even with the fans going really slow or almost to a 'halt' position as the voltage has been 'downgraded' to save on it's power usage. I find many games and Internet surfing is quite frustrating on using this as it makes everything take alot longer to load and have intermittent freezing issues until it catches up or loads. Settings can be adjusted using the Asus 'A1 Suite' software as you can pick and choose how much performance you want to gain.

ClearSkylakeMkIII

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Anytime you want to overclock you have to have an aftermarket cooler period. It doesn't have to be water cooling even a nice aftermarket air cooler heatsink like the Hyper 212 EVO which is pretty cheap you can get for less than ~$30. Don't risk it unless you don't plan to keep your CPU for a long time.

ClearSkylakeMkIII

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

It seems you are using a locKed process (no K) for Intel only processors that end with a K are unlocKed for overclocKing. e.g. for the i5 series Ivy Bridge 3570k, Devil's Canyon 4690k, Skylake 6600k. There is a way to overclock manually for regular processors but I don't do that you can try a search plenty of results will come up. If your motherboard has TPU switch it may work but it's not designed for that processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.