Asus Transformer Pad Tablet with 2560x1600 to Ship Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I love ASUS tablets... but I would have expected at least 3-4gb of RAM. I'm not familiar with Tegra 4 either so not sure about that either. The display is the only thing that catches my eye. Will hold out for reviews.

And yet we can't get high resolution, smaller sized computer monitors... why?

If a $200, 15" tablet can have a 1080p screen, and a $500 tablet like this can have a 1600p screen in a TEN inch screen, why in the world can't we buy a 24" monitor with the same resolution for the same price? It's not that it can't be manufactured, as has beens said before, and there's obviously a market for it.

If nothing else, make a tablet with a decent PPI and an hdmi-in. I guarantee it'll sell like hotcakes.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Im a pretty big "power user". work in network infrastructure support and blah blah blah. I have TF700T (tegra 3, 1920x1080) w/ the keyboard dock. The most useful thing about this? The keyboard/extra battery. For the year I've had it, what have I actually used it for? Thing's in a pinch as long as the work apps have a "tablet" / mobile version, which of course don't support a mouse at all (like the keyboard has). If you build it, THEY WONT COME. There is no market for it. I.T. people are 50% slower and to the power user, these things offer NOTHING. If I could load DEBIAN on it, great, but that makes the touch screen useless. If I could actually use it as a PC, great, but that makes the touch screen useless...

I struggle justifying the $500 w/ keyboard I spent total. Like everyone who buys and Apple product, I am constnatly trying to justify to myself why these things are needed and I have ZERO idea.

Good programmers are a dying breed. (thank you .net and MS). X86 vs ARM...it's not even worthy of a comparison and don't even bother throwing Intel ATOM into that. I love NVIDIA and Tegra, but I HATED HATED HATED the early 90's GPU chipset race and that's all that is happening w/ tablets right now. NO reason to buy, no demand for the product. These things are glorified big phones without the option to dial (VOIP excluded). It's a waste, IMO and I'd like someone try actually justify these things past email/web browsers w/ long battery life

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=2048x1536+ipad+replacement+display&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=

http://dp2retina.rozsnyo.com/

It is possible to forge a high PPI PC monitor from an iPad Retina display for a fairly low price if you're willing to work with a 9.7" screen. They also sell boards that work with 13" and 15" Macbook Pro Retina displays. Also if text and graphic size is an issue just set the Windows DPI scaling to a higher value. I've heard many people complain about poor scaling, but I work on a 19" 4:3 CRT monitor which I run at 1920x1200 (letterboxed to a 17" screen) and most programs work fine with Windows DPI scaling set to 140%.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
@DarkSable

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=2048x1536+ipad+repl...

It is possible to forge a high PPI PC monitor from an iPad Retina display for a fairly low price if you're willing to work with a 9.7" screen. They also sell boards that work with 13" and 15" Macbook Pro Retina displays. Also if text and graphic size is an issue just set the Windows DPI scaling to a higher value. I've heard many people complain about poor scaling, but I work on a 19" 4:3 CRT monitor which I run at 1920x1200 (letterboxed to a 17" screen) and most programs work fine with Windows DPI scaling set to 140%.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
@DarkSable

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=2048x1536+ipad+repl...

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I have a TF700 Infinity Pad.

They skimped on the damn NAND speeds! The tablet is beautiful, but the interface lags a lot because of it. I've even gone so far as to root and use SDbooster to copy as much onto a class 10 MicroSD card as possible to help boost performance. It's severely RAM constrained, laggy, and the external speaker is a damn joke. Even with DSP manager I can't boost the sound to acceptable levels without putting a hard object behind the speaker port to reflect the sound, FYI Volume+ doesn't always work properly with JB 4.1+. My older HP Touchpad blows this thing away when playing back media, and that's just insulting.

That said, Skype works wonderfully. I use it more than anything else on the tablet. I've used Netflix on the go, and that also works well. Internet browsing can be a frustrating experience, but the slow speed is an acceptable trade off for the larger display over my SGS3.

The battery life is phenomenal with the Keyboard dock. I rarely use it without it.

Also, the first one died exactly 45 days after I purchased it. Netflix stopped playing back properly, so I rebooted it and it just never came back up. Had to exchange it.

I don't really regret my purchase, but I'm not as happy with it as I thought I'd be. Most of these flaws aren't apparent when you are demoing the unit in a store.

The TF701 may have addressed many of these issues, but be forewarned about them before committing to buy it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Yet again another boring overpriced rehash of every TF model since ASUS came out with them.

@ DarkSable; there is a big difference between the quality of a tablet panel and the quality of a desktop monitor. It goes beyond just the resolution and PPI. It's for the same reasons that a good 24" 1920x1080 computer monitor can cost as much or more than a 50" 1920x1080 LED-LCD TV.

halcyon

Splendid

Remote Desktop

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I think the tech industry is lead by morons, they don`t feel the need to make 24" 27" 2560x1600 or 1440p cheap and good displays but they for sure go crazy on little devices like phones or tablets where the resolution doesn`t even matter at some point. Soon we will gonna have 1080p watches and there will still be a manufacturer that will sell a 1080p 27" display out there.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Again, the factors that go into the quality of a panel are different for tablets vs. desktop monitors vs. TV's. Desktop monitors generally have superior panels when it comes to: uniformity, viewing angle, WTW, BTB, response times, etc. Comparing the price of a tablet or desktop or TV panel is like comparing the price of a Smart Car to the price of a Bently. Sure they're both cars and they can both keep you going at 65mph on the freeway, but the quality of each is different.

TwoBridges

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
teh_chem , October 25, 2013 9:14 PM
Yet again another boring overpriced rehash of every TF model since ASUS came out with them.

YOU must really hate apple then because they are the KING of overprices rehashes!! oh wait...you love apple...therefore your comment in thrown into the dustbin where it belongs!

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Wait, who said I love apple? The only apple product I own is a 2nd gen ipod touch from 5 years ago. I use android devices for my phones and tablets; have two android tablets and more android phones than I can count. I have no idea wtf you're talking about...still doesn't change the fact that ASUS hasn't done much with their android TF line, and most of their tablets cost more than they ought. Not to mention how many OTA updates they screwed the pooch on with the TF101.

tomlevels

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I already have the TF701T at home for 1,5 weeks, and I must say I really like it (still have the TF101T). Great screen, really fast (also internal memory is fast).

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Sadly I am now a major sceptic concerning Asus tablets. I replaced a broken TF101 (original - worked really nicely) with the much hyped TF201 - Transformer Prime. What a waste it was. I think the original outperformed it.

The Prime is sssslllloooowwww - I have had to wait 20 to 30 seconds for the scfreen to start accepting input. A simple Spider Solitaire game cannot play smoothly - animations freeze for 5 to 10 seconds, the screen won't accept input for 5 to 10 seconds, with no other apps in the background. The wi-fi connection is weak, the sound barely acceptable.

They may talk about how good this one is, but "once burned, twice shy". I'm looking got replace the Prime with its frustrations.I doubt that this will make the first list, let alone the short list. It's an Asus.

Such a pity. I really like their motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.