Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Review: Tegra 3, More Affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Looks like a great tablet. The screen could use a little work, especially the resolution, but everything else checks out well. I too will be interested to see a tablet like this one running Windows 8, could be a game-changer.

netadmin

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
"Fortunately, Asus is sticking with $149 as the price for TF300T's complementary accessory."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything fortunate about paying the same price for an inferior product. Based on reviews at other sites, the keyboard dock for the TF300T has a 16 Wh battery compared to the 22 Wh battery for the Prime dock. Is it being suggested that 27% lower battery capacity does not make any difference in price? I understand that ASUS has to make a profit, but would it not be reasonable to lower the price a little bit, at least?

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Looks like a great tablet, but I can't even find the Asus Transformer Prime anywhere. Maybe it the availability is good I may try to manage to pick one up, but i have given up on the Prime.

halcyon

Splendid
I really would like to see a successor to the Transformer Prime with a display with the same or higher resolution as the 3rd gen iPad. That'd be quite something.

mobomofo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
How come no one has pulled the "Does it play Crysis?" yet.
That joke can't die. We gotta keep it alive people.

+2 for the Bakersfield joke. Good eye.

Finally--a Tablet that answers the question:
"What is a Tablet for?"

It's a laptop when you want one and a camera, notepad, & wireless connectivity device whenever you don't need a full laptop. And it's finally at a price comparable to low-level laptops.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]Now hold on a second... Are you trying to tell me that an extra 16GB of memory only costs me $20 more? WTF Apple?[/citation]
When its bottom of the barrel memory...oh yes, its quite economical.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]When its bottom of the barrel memory...oh yes, its quite economical.[/citation]
This really makes me curious... Do you mind backing that claim up with something? Two things about that comment strike me as odd. First, that a quality company like ASUS would use bottom of the barrel memory (or at least different quality than Apple would) and second, that upping the memory on an iPad would cost $100 to go from 16GB to 32GB.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]...quality company like ASUS ...[/citation]
You lost me here. I had 5 (five) Transformer Primes and they ALL had pixel defects...every single one of them. So while I've had countless motherboards from Asus that have been problem-free I'm not seeing their quality transfer to their tablet endeavors. Now, why do I mention this? Well, if you can either ship flawed LCDs OR package flawless LCDs in such a way that they're easily flawed by the time they reach the customer it tends to speak to your quality (either build materials, manufacturing, packaging, etc.). So, with this scenario in mind its more likely for me to believe they're not using high quality memory in their tablets.

Yes, I know some people have had flawless Transformer Primes...I'm just not one of them. Now, I've had several iPads (including 2 gen 3 iPads) and they've never had any screen defects or any other defects. It made me wonder what Apple was doing in their manufacturing, packaging, etc., that would be so different from Asus. I don't have the answer. Obviously I caught samples from a bad batch of Transformer Primes. My question is why?

[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]You lost me here. I had 5 (five) Transformer Primes and they ALL had pixel defects...every single one of them. So while I've had countless motherboards from Asus that have been problem-free I'm not seeing their quality transfer to their tablet endeavors. Now, why do I mention this? Well, if you can either ship flawed LCDs OR package flawless LCDs in such a way that they're easily flawed by the time they reach the customer it tends to speak to your quality (either build materials, manufacturing, packaging, etc.). So, with this scenario in mind its more likely for me to believe they're not using high quality memory in their tablets.Yes, I know some people have had flawless Transformer Primes...I'm just not one of them. Now, I've had several iPads (including 2 gen 3 iPads) and they've never had any screen defects or any other defects. It made me wonder what Apple was doing in their manufacturing, packaging, etc., that would be so different from Asus. I don't have the answer. Obviously I caught samples from a bad batch of Transformer Primes. My question is why?[/citation]
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]When its bottom of the barrel memory...oh yes, its quite economical.[/citation]
Well, you have a beef with Asus, for your own reasons, but to generalize your experience to the entire company and it's products is childish. I have never had any issues with my Asus products, including a Transformer, so I could argue exactly the opposite.
The "memory" comment is completely without any merit, unless you prove that is correct and you also prove that any of the issues you might have had with that bad batch were due to poor quality memory chips. Till then, feel free to troll somewhere else. Thank you.

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Well, you have a beef with Asus, for your own reasons, but to generalize your experience to the entire company and it's products is childish. I have never had any issues with my Asus products, including a Transformer, so I could argue exactly the opposite. The "memory" comment is completely without any merit, unless you prove that is correct and you also prove that any of the issues you might have had with that bad batch were due to poor quality memory chips. Till then, feel free to troll somewhere else. Thank you.[/citation]
And, don't even get me started on the latest ipad's Wi-Fi issue (not able to connect), that was seen by me firsthand; I could say that Apple used some bottom of the barrel wireless chips in their latest and greatest product, couldn't I?... since the OS is the same in all their products.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]And, don't even get me started on the latest ipad's Wi-Fi issue (not able to connect), that was seen by me firsthand; I could say that Apple used some bottom of the barrel wireless chips in their latest and greatest product, couldn't I?... since the OS is the same in all their products.[/citation]
You could say that, and if you did all you'd be doing is..."saying that". Its doubtful anyone would be concerned if you said that. I may generalize as much as I'd like about my bad experience with Asus' Transformer Prime.

It's one of the nice things about "free speech" is it not? I remain entitled to my opinion...surely anyone reading it can understand that's what it is...my opinion, eh?

[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]You could say that, and if you did all you'd be doing is..."saying that". Its doubtful anyone would be concerned if you said that. I may generalize as much as I'd like about my bad experience with Asus' Transformer Prime. It's one of the nice things about "free speech" is it not? I remain entitled to my opinion...surely anyone reading it can understand that's what it is...my opinion, eh?[/citation]
Of course you may generalize as much as you wish on that, but that just proves to the world how generalization based on such premises is fundamentally flawed and, in effect, wrong. It's like a sand trap; the more you move around, the more you sink.
Your choice, though; my argument here is done, I rest my case (so to speak).

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Lols all 3 apple lovers of toms came out of their hole to downvote house... id upvote but. I'm using my phone.

I don't know why it makes a single bit of difference how cheap the memory is on the tablet as long as it works well. Which it does. Screen issues asside, which can possibly be blamed on shipping companies workers basically not caring about what they are handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.