Question ASUS TUF 3080 behaving strangely.

EatMyPizza

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2013
So, I have been noticing stuttering in some games, even at really high frame rates. Outer worlds is horrible with it, Fornite is bad sometimes. I can be at 150 fps, and it will suddenly drop to 130 but. like pause for one second. I shouldn't feel it at all, since im only on a 100hz monitor. WIth Vysnc on, it locks the monitor to 100hz, but during the stuttering, will drop to around 80 FPS. But with vynsc off, the same stuttering will only drop the FPS to aorund 130fps.

Now, If I cap the frame rate to 120 with vsync off, I will get drops to the upper 90s, low 100s. IT seems that no matter what the max fps is set to, i will consistently get frame drops about 20-30 fps below that, and it causes a noticeable stutter for about a second.

One would think that if the frames never drop below 130 fps when uncapped, then capping at 120 would ensure they never go below 120 fps, but that is not the case. And this is true across several games.

I am not even sure if the 2 issues are related. One issue, is the stuttering, (freezing for like 1/2 second), the other is the fact that the frames will always drop about 20-30 fps below whatever cap is set to (including Vsync).

My cpu is 9900k, with 32gb dd4 3200.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS