[SOLVED] ASUS TUF 550w PSU fan is very loud while under medium load

Aug 27, 2022
Does anyone here have a ASUS TUF 550w psu? The fan on my psu seems to spin at very high rpm whenever I'm gaming. But I feel like my system can not draw enough power to make the fan go like a jet engine tho . Even my cheap old FSP 550w psu wasn't that loud running a 120w tdp gtx 1660 with the same cpu.
Tried a few things and the only way for the fan to not spin like that is to lower the rx 6600 power limit to 85w (the fan is pretty much completely silence). I want to know if this is normal for this psu or if there's problems with the fan/the sensor or something so I can RMA it.
PC spec:
B350M Mortar
R5 5600 (stock speed)
16GB DDR4 2666
MSI Mechx2 Rx 6600 undervolted and locked at 100w by manufacturer
3 sata ssd and 1 hdd
ASUS TUF 550w PSU

Hi cLonio. Sorry for your bad experience with the PSU. Have you submitted the claim to Asus yet? If you wouldn't mind, could you continue to keep this forum thread updated with your RMA experience with them? I've never purchased one of their power supplies before. I'm curious to know three things, if it's not too much trouble: (1) How time consuming will the Asus tech support or text chat conversation be, before they approve the RMA. (2) Do they have a reasonable "advanced RMA" policy to allow you to get the replacement sent before you ship them the misbehaving unit, and (3) Did the replacement unit resolve the issue, or does this model just have an overly aggressive fan curve per design? Good luck.

Aug 27, 2022
Hi cLonio. Sorry for your bad experience with the PSU. Have you submitted the claim to Asus yet? If you wouldn't mind, could you continue to keep this forum thread updated with your RMA experience with them? I've never purchased one of their power supplies before. I'm curious to know three things, if it's not too much trouble: (1) How time consuming will the Asus tech support or text chat conversation be, before they approve the RMA. (2) Do they have a reasonable "advanced RMA" policy to allow you to get the replacement sent before you ship them the misbehaving unit, and (3) Did the replacement unit resolve the issue, or does this model just have an overly aggressive fan curve per design? Good luck.
I don't think there's any point rma it tho since there's really nothing faulty with the PSU in the first place. The fan curve is just very bad (It start at 1658 rpm 37 db the moment there's load which is very loud for a ball bearing fan). I should have research more into this model before buying it

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022
Understood. Do you plan to replace it with another model? If so, which mfg. & model would you consider?
I'm thinking of getting the xpg pylon 550 since it's available locally and I can sell my other old psu there too (feel kinda bad selling my 1 month old psu tho). It also has great cybenetic rating at 230v and won't run at 1600 rpm at 150w

Aug 27, 2022
Ah. I honestly don't like the sound of "xpg pylon". Any higher quality brand/models available in that local computer shop? You may want to consider raising your psu budget. Just a thought...
There are a few more shop around my place, the problem is they don't buy used power supply exept the one i mentioned. Within my budget, they also have a thermaltake smart 700, nzxt c650, a corsair vs750 and a cooler elite v3. I did some research and the Pylon seem like the best one i can get. (cybenetic silver, Standard ++ with a reasonable fan curve below 500w load)

Last edited: