Question ASUS TUF A15, frequent BSODs, startup freezes, and advance repairs failing

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I've had this TUF Gaming A15 FA506IH laptop for a little over 2 years now, and have only used it for music production. Somewhere down the line, I'm not sure if it was when I upgraded it to Windows 11 from 10, it started having issues. When it would enter sleep mode, I was never able to get it to wake back up. The keyboard would light up, but the screen would stay off indefinitely. Not only that, but about 80% of the time, the laptop would freeze during the ASUS startup screen. From here, it will do one of three things;
1. BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION,
2. Try to Advance Repair only to fail to find any issues, or
3. Same BSOD and then to Advance Repair, but again, fail to find anything to repair.

Here's the weird thing though. Sometimes it asks if I want to load a restore point, which has never made any difference. When I decline, it takes me to Advanced Options. From there, I can click "Exit and continue to Windows 11," and that always works. If there's something wrong, and it's keeping my laptop from loading Windows, why does it let me exit to Windows just fine after all of that?

Again, I'm not sure if this all happened when I upgraded from the Windows 10 the laptop came with to Windows 11, but I can't really remember having this issue before the upgrade. I haven't done anything to the hardware of the laptop besides adding an extra 8GB of RAM around the same time I bought the laptop. I've tried updating BIOS, updating drivers, sfc /scannow, DISM too, but none of which worked. I've already disabled 'Fast Startup,' but as you might've guessed, did not fix the issue.

Thank you for any and all help.

Here's the SrtTrail file Advanced Repair created

Reliability Monitor overview

Windows errors in Reliability Monitor

Hardware error

Shutdown Unexpectedly

BluescreenView

Solution
Get the chipset drivers from AMD's site and the GPU drivers from Nvidia site if you haven't already.

Have you tried running Windows 10 again to see if the problem goes away and it is in fact Windows 11 that's causing the BSOD.

Lutfij

Titan
I'm not sure if it was when I upgraded it to Windows 11 from 10, it started having issues.
I'm reading that as an internal upgrade path from Windows 10 to Windows 11. If so, you're advised to reinstall Windows 11 after you create the bootable UBS installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I'm not sure if it was when I upgraded it to Windows 11 from 10, it started having issues.
I'm reading that as an internal upgrade path from Windows 10 to Windows 11. If so, you're advised to reinstall Windows 11 after you create the bootable UBS installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.
I just reinstalled Win11 using the tool, so will update if I come across any issues. Thanks.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Be sure to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in the aforementioned elevated command as well.
Apologies for the late response. Reinstalling Win11 did not fix the issue. I'm not sure what you mean when you said the 'elevated command.' I must be missing something. Was there a command I should have run using cmd?

Another thing of note. Now, the laptop doesn't shut down when directed. It begins to shut down, but comes back on, exactly like it would if I had restarted it.

mrblazito

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Get the chipset drivers from AMD's site and the GPU drivers from Nvidia site if you haven't already.

Have you tried running Windows 10 again to see if the problem goes away and it is in fact Windows 11 that's causing the BSOD.

Solution

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019

This is the only time I've ever updated the chipset drivers, so was hoping for that to be the fix, but after testing it by powering my laptop off and back on, the issue remained. Thanks though, I probably would have never updated them haha.

I didn't want to have to revert back to Win10, as I'm sure I'd have to completely wipe the drive, but at this point I'm seeing no other fix that I myself can try. Will update once the downgrade is completed.