Question Asus TUF B450 overclocking advice

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Hi im considering buying this mobo as an upgrade for my 2600X Ryzen 5. Just wondering what sort of overclock I could do and whether I could rely on stock cooler or would I have to buy a new better one?

Thanks

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Found a good price on Asrock B450 pro 4. That one any good?

and what do you mean by a mild OC like 4 ?

and if I wanted to get to 4 could I with this MOBO and would I need a new more powerful cooler over the stock wraithspire thing that only does 95 TDP

Hey Guy's Better late then Never

There would be more then stock cooler to take in to consideration. What case would it be in?
for ventilation to give the stock cooler all it needs.
A oc of 4ghz should be possible on the mobo wise but a better cooler wouldn't hurt.
It's always better to have more cooling then not enough.

This 1 seems as a possibility ???? 60amp chocks from looking at the qvl there was only 3 g.skills which is sad
Corsair and hyperx was really tested, And good amount of fan headers.
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157869?Item=N82E16813157869[/URL]"]www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157869?Item=N82E16813157869[/URL]

My next best would be Dmann's mobo but looking at newegg I'm taking it that the $$$ is a factor.
If you would be looking to buy off of Amazon from talking to Asus tech support they have older asus mobo's
Don't know if that would hold true for other Brands, but getting a 2000 ready mobo would yield better performance and may not have to Oc.
So if you can get 2000 ready don't update the bios to anything too close to July 7 th 2019 Zen2 Release date.

Good Luck
Jim

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Thanks Jim, my case is a pretty cheap one but temperatures seem ok gaming wise and got 4 fans. Not really an expert haha, I guess motherboard wise I should focus more on overclocking my ram as I got 16 gigs at 2400 and I see on this forum that Ryzen processors like my 2600x don't like low ram and prefer higher ram speeds like 3200. So could any of the B450's like the Asrock one i mentioned or this similarly priced one MSI B450M GAMING PLUS able to overclock my existing ram into something better? as well as a slight overclock of CPU?

Or am I better off getting the mobo and buying highest speed? BTW fan headers arn't an issue as the pc I bought came with a splitter as it is a bare bones mobo that cant oc anything. A320 one.

Thanks again.

The msi b450 gaming plus has bios flashback which can be very useful.
Here is a link of the mobo's that have flashback capabilities.

But the best thing would be to look for a 2000 ready mobo then let Xfr/Pbo and using ryzen dram calculator to oc the ram thats where i had my best performance
With my 2600x and my rog strix x470 f gaming.

Here is the link to my bios update adventure
It's long but you can see what i went through when i updated the bios from 4602 to 5204 for my rog.

Currently i have it at 4.1ghz but can still only get my g.skill flare x 3200 fast rdc.

On the 4602 bios update my ram was fine @3400 fast rdc.
Since that update i still can't get it stable over 3200 fast.
I toyed with it in the last few days thinking i had figured something out but last night it crashed running Occt @3400 fast so back to 3200 fast rdc.

Mobo manufacturers and online retailers could help us out more by giving us
A valid way to know what bios version it has, that alone would help us alot.
Even a born on date would help.
I have seen only a few ads stating 2000 ready and that was on amazon.
So with what there my be something to what the asus tech support told me per a phone call about amazon having older bios mobo's.
At micro center the new mobo's are 3000 Compliant as they let stock dwindle down around the July 7th release of Zen2 release
And then restocked with new.

So let me do this.
2000 ready: choice of xfr/pbo and ram Oc
Still having the ability to formal oc.

3000 ready
Able to use xfr? / pbo and little ram Oc
Potential because of the new boost clock and ram issues.
Would almost need to Oc to get close to a 2000.

I'm looking at maybe???? A msi b450 pro carbon and using the bios tools to flash it back to a bios well before the point of the july 7th zen2 release date for my 2600x to go on when i go with a zen2 for my rog as i Will not try flashing back to the older bios updates as some have tried and bricked the board.
Dmann has way more experience in the bios department and did a quick check on the pro carbon to see if that could be done and thinks that is my best option for a 2000 series cpu.
Best regards
Jim

Reactions: kingbowcat

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Thanks again Jim,

I think all of the mobos on amazon work out the box for 2600x's many people in comments mention it but I doubt i'll ever get a 3000 series unless its a really good deal. BTW do all these mobos have Xfr/PBO? I can get a Tomohawk 450 max for just £20 more than the other cheaper B450's I was looking at and is better equipped to deal with the stresses of OC'ing CPU and Memory, But thats geared to be towards 3000 Ryzens so could be overkill for my 2600x. Or would I have to flash back to an earlier bios?

TRENDING THREADS