Khabato

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
Hello everyone!
I bought a new upgrade kit with an asus tuf b550 pro motherboard, ryzen 5 5600x and corsair vengance 16 gb 3600mhz ram.
Ive built a couple of pcs before so i know a little bit about building them and what goes where but on this mother board there is an 8+4 cpu power connector, when i only connect the 8 pin connector the pc boots, when i connect both the 8 pin and the 4 pin the pc doesnt boot. When i only connect the 4 pin the pc doesnt boot. The problem is that the pc and games crash during my testing, does anyone know what the problem is, if it is a hardware issue or maybe windows 10 might be corrupted (fresh install).
Thankful for all the help i can get!

Solution
Hello everyone!
I bought a new upgrade kit with an asus tuf b550 pro motherboard, ryzen 5 5600x and corsair vengance 16 gb 3600mhz ram.
Ive built a couple of pcs before so i know a little bit about building them and what goes where but on this mother board there is an 8+4 cpu power connector, when i only connect the 8 pin connector the pc boots, when i connect both the 8 pin and the 4 pin the pc doesnt boot. When i only connect the 4 pin the pc doesnt boot. The problem is that the pc and games crash during my testing, does anyone know what the problem is, if it is a hardware issue or maybe windows 10 might be corrupted (fresh install).
That CPU won't draw sufficient power to overload the 8...
Hello everyone!
That CPU won't draw sufficient power to overload the 8 pin connector so 8+4 isn't necessary. Still, it is troubling that it won't work with all connected. Have you tried both of the remaining 4 pin PSU cable connectors in the remaining socket?

Also: have you ever reset CMOS? That could be the reason behind your instability. I'd also suggest updating all the way to the latest BIOS for the board as it fixes several issues, including better windows 11 compatibility. But be sure to reset CMOS after upating...and even if you don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khabato
Solution

Khabato

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
That CPU won't draw sufficient power to overload the 8 pin connector so 8+4 isn't necessary. Still, it is troubling that it won't work with all connected. Have you tried both of the remaining 4 pin PSU cable connectors in the remaining socket?

Also: have you ever reset CMOS? That could be the reason behind your instability. I'd also suggest updating all the way to the latest BIOS for the board as it fixes several issues, including better windows 11 compatibility. But be sure to reset CMOS after upating...and even if you don't.
Hello!
I made a new windows 10 installation media drive and installed windows 10 again + amd chipset drivers and as of right now everything seens to be working. I forgot about updating the bios so i will be doing that too, thanks for reminding me about that. If i run into the same issues again i will reset the CMOS. Also thanks for the clarifaction about the 8+4 pin connectors.