Question ASUS TUF F15 ram upgrade

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
Hello ! i have this laptop > https://www.gadgetsnow.com/laptops/...X-1660-Ti-8GB-512GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-Basic < its basicly NEW .. bought it brand new just a couple of months ago , so ....i think it has 1x stick of 8gb ram inside .. and i want to upgrade it to 16gigs. I was looking at this memory kit of 2x8gb https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37376760...rentrq:7699b56d1810a1b5c7ebf204fff69d00|iid:1 < but im not even sure if its compatible .. and even if its compatible ...im not sure whats gonna happen when i put it in , because i need XMP right ? And when i open the BIOS on this laptop , its like looking at animals in the zoo behind the cage ... you can't literally acces or change anything , most limited and restricted bios i have seen in my life ... u can just look at it .. so ...i really want to upgrade to a solid 16gigs but im worried ...i will be very grateful if u share ur 2cents on that , THANK YOU !

Hello ! i have this laptop > https://www.gadgetsnow.com/laptops/...X-1660-Ti-8GB-512GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-Basic < its basicly NEW .. bought it brand new just a couple of months ago , so ....i think it has 1x stick of 8gb ram inside .. and i want to upgrade it to 16gigs. I was looking at this memory kit of 2x8gb https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373767603100?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=b1b1f80ecd9a497c91d1e251354e2eaf&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=373767603100&itm=373767603100&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Crucial&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:e7c8bde6-eefa-11ec-add9-120bbdf8528c|parentrq:7699b56d1810a1b5c7ebf204fff69d00|iid:1 < but im not even sure if its compatible .. and even if its compatible ...im not sure whats gonna happen when i put it in , because i need XMP right ? And when i open the BIOS on this laptop , its like looking at animals in the zoo behind the cage ... you can't literally acces or change anything , most limited and restricted bios i have seen in my life ... u can just look at it .. so ...i really want to upgrade to a solid 16gigs but im worried ...i will be very grateful if u share ur 2cents on that , THANK YOU !
You might want to open the laptop and see how many ram slots there are.

Reactions: tomazo-be
Crucial shows these ram upgrades as compatible:
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/tuf-gaming-f15#memory
See if the ram you linked is on the list.

Run CPU-Z and look at the memory tabs to see what is now actually installed.

You have 2 ram slots. If you want 16gb, I think adding a second 8gb would be the reasonable way to go.

If you want more than 16gb, I think I would opt for a 2 x 16gb upgrade kit.

Search for a youtube video to see how to physically open up the laptop.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
Hi , thank you for the helpful responses , i actually opened the laptop like a month ago to clean it , and yeah it has 2x slots , currently 1x 8gig inside .I'm not sure what is the best option .. to buy 1x 8gig more of the same memory and just slap it inside , or buy the good crucial ballistix 2x8gig kit ... the crucial memory kit should be way better, what worries me is the XMP <Mod Edit> and that the memory WONT actually run to the advertised 3200mhz and will probably underclock even lower than my current memory and then im not going to be able to change it because the BIOS is so restricted that i cannot change anything ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , thank you for the helpful responses , i actually opened the laptop like a month ago to clean it , and yeah it has 2x slots , currently 1x 8gig inside .I'm not sure what is the best option .. to buy 1x 8gig more of the same memory and just slap it inside , or buy the good crucial ballistix 2x8gig kit ... the crucial memory kit should be way better, what worries me is the XMP <Mod Edit> and that the memory WONT actually run to the advertised 3200mhz and will probably underclock even lower than my current memory and then im not going to be able to change it because the BIOS is so restricted that i cannot change anything ...
Make sure of the return policy of the ram you linked to.

I suspect it will down clock to 2933.

Which is the native speed of the cpu.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
Make sure of the return policy of the ram you linked to.

I suspect it will down clock to 2933.

Which is the native speed of the cpu.
Hm ...is it that big of a problem if the ram downclocks to 2933 tho ? its still going to be ''better'' than the regular kit of ram yes ? and IF it downclock to 2933 , is there any way t obring it up to 3200 with this bios ?

Hm ...is it that big of a problem if the ram downclocks to 2933 tho ? its still going to be ''better'' than the regular kit of ram yes ? and IF it downclock to 2933 , is there any way t obring it up to 3200 with this bios ?
What speed is your ram running at now?

If the bios does allow you to fuss with ram speed then it should try to set the speed to the native amount of the cpu or the mobo.

Is 2933 a problem?.....no.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
What speed is your ram running at now?

If the bios does allow you to fuss with ram speed then it should try to set the speed to the native amount of the cpu or the mobo.

Is 2933 a problem?.....no.
It runs on 2933 now yes and .. okay . monday getting the crucial kit and it should be here by wednesday then i will test . thanks

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
Performance wise , what would you advise me to do ? Getting 1x more 8gig stick of the currently installed memory , or get the Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16S4B 16GB Kit ?

Performance wise , what would you advise me to do ? Getting 1x more 8gig stick of the currently installed memory , or get the Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16S4B 16GB Kit ?
Perf wise I doubt you would see much of a diff.

Trying to add a stick might present a problem if the 2 sticks don't play nice together.

You would think that getting another stick of the same ram would be a match but in the real world that's not the way it works.

Your call if you want to give it a try.

Ram speed means little to Intel performance.
I would not bother trying to increase the speed that your laptop came with.
Laptop and other oem bios are usually quite fixed and only capable of running what you bought.

Laptop ram upgrades seem to do quite well by adding a stick of the same spec ram.
Unless you need more than 16gb, then I would try to just add 8gb.
On occasion, it does not go well.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
If you do want more than 16gb, you could add a single 16gb stick.
the first 16gb will run in dual channel mode, and the odd 8gb would run in single channel mode.
That is called flex mode.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
Hi , the ram is here , and its in the laptop right now . Alls fine , the only problem is .. its running on 2600mhz ...the old 8gig single stick was running on 2900mhz somehow ... there is no way to change it in the bios i tried but there is no option literally .. u cna just disable hyperthreading in bios thats it .. very limited ... so i bought 3200mhz ram to run it on 2600mhz xD any way i can ramp it up ?

Last edited:
Hi , the ram is here , and its in the laptop right now . Alls fine , the only problem is .. its running on 2600mhz ...the old 8gig single stick was running on 2900mhz somehow ... there is no way to change it in the bios i tried but there is no option literally .. u cna just disable hyperthreading in bios thats it .. very limited ... so i bought 3200mhz ram to run it on 2600mhz xD any way i can ramp it up ?
Test each stick alone to see what speed it shows.