[SOLVED] Asus TUF FX505DY Driver Issues

Oct 31, 2019
Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong place; I'm new to the site and wasn't sure which forum would be most appropriate.

To make a long story short, I've had an ASUS TUF FX505DY gaming laptop since sometime in August, 2019. Out of the box, the laptop performed exceptionally well. All of the games I played or wished to play ran fine, no issues whatsoever. However, after a month or so, Windows told me it had important updates to finish and to restart my computer.
This is where everything went south.

Since the fresh install, I haven't been able to achieve quite the same performance. Stuttering during light gameplay, random frame drops, just enough to bother you. I've tried both overwriting drivers from the ASUS SysReset directory (assuming these would have been the ones that came installed), and from Windows Restore. I've also tried to download multiple drivers from both AMD and Asus' website, without much improvement.

I think my problem lies in the switchable graphics functionality. There's both a standalone graphics driver for the RX 560X, and a graphics driver package for the Vega 8 integrated graphics, and I fear they're overwriting/conflicting with one another.

Any help would be much appreciated, can supply more info if necessary!

Thanks,
Eric

Solution
First of all welcome and yes this is the correct page to post in.

To ensure you have the proper graphics card in use check your power plan settings. Most laptops like this will use the IGPU on low power and the dedicated on high performance settings. Beyond this if the laptop came with a program that lets you switch between them make sure that is set to the correct graphics.

The other option is to open the BIOS and set the dedicated card to the primary output and then if that works, make sure you test first, disable the IGPU.

Finally for driver updates use this program to clean all existing drivers and then install the correct ones fresh
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

To ensure you have the proper graphics card in use check your power plan settings. Most laptops like this will use the IGPU on low power and the dedicated on high performance settings. Beyond this if the laptop came with a program that lets you switch between them make sure that is set to the correct graphics.

The other option is to open the BIOS and set the dedicated card to the primary output and then if that works, make sure you test first, disable the IGPU.

Finally for driver updates use this program to clean all existing drivers and then install the correct ones fresh

Solution
Oct 31, 2019

Thanks for the reply!
Using the second most recent Radeon Adrenalin release, the switchable graphics are working properly. However, performance is still lackluster compared to brand new.

I’ve went as far as deleting everything down to the chipset drivers and reinstalling. Do you see anything wrong with this order of operations?

1. Windows update and restart
  2. run DDU in Safe Mode, restart
Then, I download all applicable drivers in this order: BIOS update/MOBO/Chipset drivers, graphics drivers (first the package for the integrated graphics, then overwriting with the RX560X drivers
  1. Restart
  2. Network cars drivers
  3. Audio
  4. Wireless/LAN
  5. Peripherals
  6. Bluetooth
  7. ccleaner and restart

I dont see any issues with that but with all the drivers fixed and the performance still underwhelming i would look at what processes are running at startup as well as run a disk health check and clean the air intakes its possible there is thermal throttling occurring or a disk issue