Question ASUS TUF FX506 versus HP VICTUS 16 ?

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hello,
I am in search of a laptop and I found in a store in my country the following laptops with a Black Friday discount :
  • Asus Tuf Fx506 Intel i5 10300h, Gtx 1650, 8Gb 2933mhz, 512Gb Nvme SSD, 15.6' IPS 144Hz, 48Wh (650€ from 800€)
  • Hp Victus 16 And Ryzen 5 5600H, Gtx 1650, 8Gb 3200mhz, 512Gb Nvme SSD, 16.1' IPS 144Hz, 70Wh (650€ from 950€)
So, I also went to the store and asked the shop assistant which one is better and he told me that not only the Hp Victus has better CPU (the equivalent of the 5600H would be a 11th Gen Intel i5) but that also the Victus has bigger screen and better chassis, better build quality and better cooling.
With that said, I would like to ask what is your opinion about the value of these 2 laptops, if you know about the build quality and cooling and how they compare and lastly of course which one would you recommend me.

Before, my personal preference was the Asus Tuf because I liked its gaming design, the RGB keyboard and the fact that it is ASUS, but the shop assistant made me think that the Hp Victus is better and due to the fact that it was supposed to be 150€ more expensive as well.
Also, the HP has more battery right?

Thank you in advance for any responses, I would be happy to have a recommendation before Friday which is the day that I will have to make the purchase to have the discounts.
Thanks again and sorry for any grammatical and vocabulary errors...

Hey there,

Without a doubt at all, the Ryzen model. Faster CPU, more efficient CPU with lower temps, bigger screen real-estate, and bigger battery with longer running time.

I'd take it every day, and twice on Sundays!

However, the GPU on both is, at this stage, entry level. Ideally either of those machines with a min of a 3050ti would be so much better.

Also, with just 8gbs of ram, you are limited right out of the box for gaming. Ideally you need to consider the extra cost for a 16gb machine. Otherwise, when you get one of these, you will spend the first few hours wondering why your games stutter here and there, and general system responsiveness is sluggish. That's because it's 8gbs running in single channel mode (Ugghhhh! - You don't want this). Edit: You'll be rushing out to buy another 8gb stick before its first charge is done! :tearsofjoy:

If I were you, I'd be looking for 16gbs of ram, with a 3050ti min, 512gb ssd is okay. Between those two CPU's the Ryzen is the better choice.

Reactions: ioannis2015v

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hey there,

Without a doubt at all, the Ryzen model. Faster CPU, more efficient CPU with lower temps, bigger screen real-estate, and bigger battery with longer running time.

I'd take it every day, and twice on Sundays!

However, the GPU on both is, at this stage, entry level. Ideally either of those machines with a min of a 3050ti would be so much better.

Also, with just 8gbs of ram, you are limited right out of the box for gaming. Ideally you need to consider the extra cost for a 16gb machine. Otherwise, when you get one of these, you will spend the first few hours wondering why your games stutter here and there, and general system responsiveness is sluggish. That's because it's 8gbs running in single channel mode (Ugghhhh! - You don't want this).

If I were you, I'd be looking for 16gbs of ram, with a 3050ti min, 512gb ssd is okay. Between those two CPU's the Ryzen is the better choice.
Hello!
Thank you so much for your response! Really appreciated!!!
Ok, so the Ryzen model is a clear winner, got it!
I know that the GTX 1650 is a relatively weak GPU but my budget for the laptop can't really go any higher. Every other laptop that I saw on this price (around 650€ or cheaper) didn't have a better GPU (most have integrated graphics). For RTX 3050ti or 3060 I think they start at about 900€ and because I have a desktop with a GTX 1060 (not that great either but for my use it's ok) I don't need to spend more for the laptop. I will be gaming just a bit, but mainly using it for studying etc, but I wanted a laptop with dedicated GPU.
→ I would like to ask you though, if you know anything about the comparison of the Asus Tuf and Hp Victus in terms of build quality and cooling. Have you any thoughts???
The quality aspect seems a bit important as well for me, although the shop assistant told me that the Victus is better (perhaps because it was supposed to be 150€ more expensive?).
Thanks again for your help and I am looking forward for your next answer to the build quality and cooling question if you could.
Best Regards,
Ioannis V.

Hello!
Thank you so much for your response! Really appreciated!!!
Ok, so the Ryzen model is a clear winner, got it!
I know that the GTX 1650 is a relatively weak GPU but my budget for the laptop can't really go any higher. Every other laptop that I saw on this price (around 650€ or cheaper) didn't have a better GPU (most have integrated graphics). For RTX 3050ti or 3060 I think they start at about 900€ and because I have a desktop with a GTX 1060 (not that great either but for my use it's ok) I don't need to spend more for the laptop. I will be gaming just a bit, but mainly using it for studying etc, but I wanted a laptop with dedicated GPU.
→ I would like to ask you though, if you know anything about the comparison of the Asus Tuf and Hp Victus in terms of build quality and cooling. Have you any thoughts???
The quality aspect seems a bit important as well for me, although the shop assistant told me that the Victus is better (perhaps because it was supposed to be 150€ more expensive?).
Thanks again for your help and I am looking forward for your next answer to the build quality and cooling question if you could.
Best Regards,
Ioannis V.
Hey Ionnis,

No probs mate, you're very welcome!

In light of what you've said, then either will be good enough. But I'd still go for the Victus with the Ryzen.

There aren't many reviews of either, but here is some food for thought:

HP Victus 16 review: Affordable gaming laptop with AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU - NotebookCheck.net Reviews - this one has a different GPU, but same chassis and remainder setup.

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 (FX506) review - a decent performer that is easy on your budget | LaptopMedia.com

I have an Omen 15 2019 (I79750H +GTX1660ti). I do like the build quality of any of the HP machines I've had. I've never had issue with any of them. I've heard some bad things about the TUF laptops from time to time, but then they are also well considered in other reviews.

Cooling wise, HP are normally very good. Ill give my own example (as it's something I've researched extensively), with my Omen. They really do cool the proc very well. I hit about 80-85c when all cores are loaded at full pelt of 4ghz. It just stays steady, with no throttling.

Most gaming laptops get hot. But with a Ryzen cpu, and a HP cooling system, I can vouch for that. It works and works well.

For the TUF line, I can't be certain about their laptops as I've not had one, and the reviews are limited. With that said, I'm a huge ASUS fan. I have always gone with their mobos for my builds, have had GPU's from them, PSU's etc . They are a quality brand in general (IMO), so they don't make crap either.

Hope that helps guide you somewhat.

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hey Ionnis,

No probs mate, you're very welcome!

In light of what you've said, then either will be good enough. But I'd still go for the Victus with the Ryzen.

There aren't many reviews of either, but here is some food for thought:

HP Victus 16 review: Affordable gaming laptop with AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU - NotebookCheck.net Reviews - this one has a different GPU, but same chassis and remainder setup.

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 (FX506) review - a decent performer that is easy on your budget | LaptopMedia.com

I have an Omen 15 2019 (I79750H +GTX1660ti). I do like the build quality of any of the HP machines I've had. I've never had issue with any of them. I've heard some bad things about the TUF laptops from time to time, but then they are also well considered in other reviews.

Cooling wise, HP are normally very good. Ill give my own example (as it's something I've researched extensively), with my Omen. They really do cool the proc very well. I hit about 80-85c when all cores are loaded at full pelt of 4ghz. It just stays steady, with no throttling.

Most gaming laptops get hot. But with a Ryzen cpu, and a HP cooling system, I can vouch for that. It works and works well.

For the TUF line, I can't be certain about their laptops as I've not had one, and the reviews are limited. With that said, I'm a huge ASUS fan. I have always gone with their mobos for my builds, have had GPU's from them, PSU's etc . They are a quality brand in general (IMO), so they don't make crap either.

Hope that helps guide you somewhat.
Hi again,
First of all I would like to thank you for answering to my post for a second time. It is very kind of you and thanks for your help!
I saw the reviews you sent me, they are indeed helpful. I see that the Hp also has a better screen than the Asus if I am not wrong as it has better sRGB coverage (99%) and slightly better brightness.
So, I found only 2 drawbacks I think compared to the TUF.
The first one doesn't need an answer, it is that the Victus only has a white keyboard backlight while the TUF has RGB and very nice keycaps which permit the light to shine (a bit white in the edges). I admit it, that's a very small thing to take into account compared to the superiority of Ryzen 5 5600H to i5 10300h but just saying I liked better the aesthetics if the TUF.
The second and most important thing is that the Victus has very wabbling screen (I mean as I saw if you touch it it moves a lot - unstable) but I could say that I can overcome this issue.
But, I also saw that it flexes more in the keyboard area (up-down, you know what I mean) while the TUF was more robust at least to this point.
So, to conclude, my only concernings are towards the build quality of the Victus and how premium each of these 2 products feel. I see that the Victus is probably technically (hardware etc) better than the TUF but I would like to know if you have any other thoughts concerning how robust the Victus is compared to the TUF. If you have heard from any friend or anything generally about this topic as I didn't manage to find not even 1 direct compare.
Sorry for writing so much.
Thank you again for your help!
If you know anything about that or even if you don't know but you have any thoughts and recommendation towards that (if it's important for example to take that fact into account as well or not) please respond and I will be glad to read your response.
Kind Regards,
Ioannis V.

Hey there,

So, the TUF, by design are very robust. They are meant to be manufactured for heavy duty use (TUF - Tough). SO they will have a very strong build, which can take small knocks that won't damage the laptop.

I'm not sure about the cooling on the TUF though.

When it comes to decisions that are close, then I let the better hardware decide for me :)

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hey there,

So, the TUF, by design are very robust. They are meant to be manufactured for heavy duty use (TUF - Tough). SO they will have a very strong build, which can take small knocks that won't damage the laptop.

I'm not sure about the cooling on the TUF though.

When it comes to decisions that are close, then I let the better hardware decide for me :)
Ok, I see what you mean. Apparently the Ryzen 5 5600H is much better than the i5 10300H and has 2 more cores. So I opt for the Victus.
Thank you for all the help!
Take care!!!
Sincerely,
Ioannis V.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Ok, I see what you mean. Apparently the Ryzen 5 5600H is much better than the i5 10300H and has 2 more cores. So I opt for the Victus.
Thank you for all the help!
Take care!!!
Sincerely,
Ioannis V.

No problem Ioannis! I'm happy to help.

If you are happy with the result, you can close this thread out by choosing an answer as the solution.

If you need any other help, get back to us, or feel free to drop me a PM, and I'll get back to you when I can :)

Good luck and enjoy the new lappie! :)