Question ASUS TUF GAMING A15 freezes on idle ?

derek1036

Honorable
Jun 19, 2016
Hello, I just got myself a brand new ASUS TUF A15 (FA506ICB-HN120W) last week. For a few days, I've had no issues with the laptop; everything seems to be running perfectly. I could play games and edit some clips just fine. Lately, however, I noticed that it freezes when I leave it for a while in idle. The first time it happened, it was left on idle while I was waiting for a zoom meeting to start. And so I held the power button down to force it to shutdown and turned it on again. Upon startup, I checked event viewer to see if something like an app caused my laptop to freeze, sadly I don't know how to interpret them.

I'll be attaching screenshots of it to this thread to see if it'll help. A few days later, it happened again. This time I was downloading a large file on uTorrent. I left for a few minutes and when I came back to my laptop, I knew it had frozen again, since the download progress bar wasn't moving and the drive activity LED on the laptop wasn't blinking anymore. The laptop only freezes when I leave it completely on idle or while it is downloading something. It doesn't freeze while I am using it.

Although I'm not sure as to what exactly is causing these freezes, I think it might have something to do with my laptop's CPU temperature. I installed CPUID HwMonitor since a friend told me that Asus' armoury crate's temperature readings are "unreliable" or oftenly misreports. (HwMonitor's readings were higher than armoury crate's). On the "silent" fan mode, the fan mode I always use when not gaming, the cpu usually idles at around 60 to 77 degrees celsius when doing nothing, and hits a max of 88 or 92 degrees when browsing, downloading, etc. But those are only the max temps and the temperatures seem to go back down to the 60-70 degree celsius range. I am not quite sure though if the high cpu temperature is what's causing my laptop to freeze, since I have seen readings as high as 96 degrees celsius while I'm playing games. If high temperatures caused my laptop freeze on idle, then shouldn't it also freeze while gaming?

Again, I am not not sure whether my speculation is true or not. Please let me know what you guys think is causing the issue. I'll be providing a picture of my temperature reading from hwmonitor and a screenshot of event viewer if that helps.

Event Viewer screenshot
View: https://imgur.com/a/LbA92uQ

HWmonitor temperature readings (as of posting this thread)
View: https://imgur.com/a/QDDuaP6

Laptop Model: ASUS TUF A15 (FA506ICB-HN120W)

Specs
8GB DDR4 memory
Ryzen 7 4800H
RTX 3050 Mobile (4GB)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS