Review Asus TUF Gaming A15 Review: AMD Ryzen 4000 WIth an RTX Edge

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It is really annoying to see ASUS not using better screens for their AMD notebooks. While they use their best screens for Intel notebooks .. I think AMD should step in and force them to change this policy.

It is like an insult to AMD , like : AMD is the cheap low option lets use our garbage stock of screens ...

Jim90

Distinguished
Why in the hell did Asus screw AMD by going with such a <Mod Edit> screen? There was no need for that whatsoever and I'd strongly suggest another 'player' (Intel) had a say here.
With Zen2/3 and RDNA2 AMD should consider looking into building laptops themselves - that particular combination of components, alone, would yield a major, and instant, disruption to Intel. Whether it would be a permanent disruption is entirely in AMD's hands, though every consumer needs healthy competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I really want a Ryzen 7 4800H laptop. I've been torn between this one and the HP Omen because these really seem to be the best right now.

I was looking at the same a couple months ago but decided not to.

You might want to look around at some other reviews, as well as owner comments at places like Best Buy. The A15 seems to have overheating issues. One good example, look at how close the heat pipe is to the SSD. The SSD can be moved to the 2nd M.2 slot of course, but this laptop seems to have 3 or 4 issues along those lines. People are actually putting tape on a gap around the fan and heat spreaders to redirect air more efficiently.

Unless price is a huge concern, the HP seems to be a much better designed laptop from what I've seen. I would rather spend a couple hundred bucks more and not have to open the thing up right off the bat to fix design issues.

g-unit1111

Titan
Unless price is a huge concern, the HP seems to be a much better designed laptop from what I've seen. I would rather spend a couple hundred bucks more and not have to open the thing up right off the bat to fix design issues.

Yeah I wound up getting the HP. I really wanted a laptop with the Ryzen 4800H and a GTX 1660TI, and that was the only one that had both with a full TB of storage space. And I have the option to add a second one.

That thing about the Asus is what I found in Youtube reviews too, and that was the deciding factor not to get that laptop. I'm not good at laptop repairs and the only experience I've had is adding / removing drives and RAM.

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
"Large biker tattoo logo"
"Unless you’re an angel, or a biker or a Hells Angels biker, the massive logo on the TUF Gaming A15’s lid is polarizing."

Really!?
Man are you guys HARD-UP or what to find some to complain about!

Jul 22, 2020
The TUF aesthetic is what sells this laptop. It irks me when reviewers harp on design choice, ESPECIALLY when they want it to look like every other laptop. I applaud ASUS for taking a different approach and keeping design language unique.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I considered that option but the lack of a webcam was a big concern for me. I know that's not normally a feature one has to have, but since this year that's something that you can't live without right now.

I stopped using notebooks webcams long time ago , we all have our smartphones now near and ready and far better than any notebook webcam/software

The screen specs are very important IMO :

G15:

15.6-inch Non-glare Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS-level panel, 240Hz, 3ms, 100% sRGB, Pantone® Validated, adaptive sync

G14

14-inch Non-glare Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS-level panel, up to 120Hz, 100% sRGB, Pantone® Validated, adaptive sync

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
The TUF aesthetic is what sells this laptop. It irks me when reviewers harp on design choice, ESPECIALLY when they want it to look like every other laptop. I applaud ASUS for taking a different approach and keeping design language unique.

The one thing that has driven me nuts about Asus laptops IS the aesthetics. I've never been a big fan of their loud WASD keys when the rest of the keyboard has an entirely different style. I like having a laptop with a slim profile and easily upgradeable options, though.

Nov 29, 2020
Is the second m2 slot 2280, and will it support a second boot drive [Ubuntu, preferably]? I will not be using it for gaming but will use it for CAD in connection with a large HD monitor.

Mine is to be delivered 12/16 and is the expected long term replacement for both

1] a seven year old Dell Ubuntu laptop that will be relegated to my workshop for UTUBE repair videos and background music;

and

2] a built but aging ASUS dual boot W10/Ubuntu desktop for graphic design and CADCAM.

Thus my question about the second M2 slot.

TRENDING THREADS