Question Asus tuf gaming rtx 3080 fans driving me crazy.

Jonathan_104

Honorable
Aug 24, 2016
Around early 2022 I bought an asus tuf gaming rtx 3080. The default fan curve was too aggressive and loud, so I made a custom fan curve in msi afterburner. Running under full load the card would hit a maximum of 70C and stayed very quiet, never going over 2000rpm. But, over time, I found the fans got louder and louder while still running at the same speeds, to the point where I just couldn't stand it anymore, it was so loud.

I googled this problem and found lots of forum posts where people complained about the same problem, and some replies said it was due to the cheap bearings in the fans used on that model. Some suggested changing the fans. So I found replacement fans for that model, ordered them and swapped them out for the old, noisy fans.

But these new fans make a new, even worse sound! They don't get loud like the old fans, but they make a weird high pitch sound, almost like the fans are scraping against the shroud.

I've tried re-seating the fans and shroud a couple of times, but that hasn't worked. I've undervoltes the gpu so it runs cooler and the fans don't have to spin as fast, but that hasn't worked either.

I've gotten to the point where I can't stand gaming cause all I can hear is that whirring/scraping noise in the background. What should I do? Order another set of fans and hope they're better? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.