Review Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q 4K Monitor Review: Ultra HD, Ultra Cheap

rsymartin27

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
One thing I hope dies soon is dp 1.2, I mean why even if they just use 1.4 we can get Gsync nd hdr both on same port. They should clearly mention that HDR will work only on hdmi in these monitors. Nd HDMI does not support G. Sync.

Jul 2, 2020
This is a zero buyer's regret purchase for me! I'm not a gamer, I just needed the best 4K IPS monitor for extended use at a sensible price. I took a gamble and bought the VG289Q for CAD/Office use based on its specs before there were any in depth reviews such as this one. Based on my subjective observations, I think this is an accurate review of what I have found to be an excellent and reliable 4K monitor for work/general purpose use, which is particularly surprising given the price. It looks like Asus have chosen a good IPS panel here. It's all in the review, but some points to emphasise:

flicker-free backlight
good colour accuracy
even backlight brightness distribution
zero dead pixels
IPS panel gives very good viewing angles
blacks are good
three year warranty
superb stand - very solid and adujsts for height/tilt/rotation
not noticed any IPS "glow"
28" size
modest price

After about 500hours of operation there are no issues at all . BTW -if you look closely the Amazon reviews are actually for a mish-mash of similar Asus monitors.

Last edited:

zainpk60

Commendable
Jul 24, 2018
This is a zero buyer's regret purchase for me! I'm not a gamer, I just needed the best 4K IPS monitor for extended use at a sensible price. I took a gamble and bought the VG289Q for CAD/Office use based on its specs before there were any in depth reviews such as this one. Based on my subjective observations, I think this is an accurate review of what I have found to be an excellent and reliable 4K monitor for work/general purpose use, which is particularly surprising given the price. It looks like Asus have chosen a good IPS panel here. It's all in the review, but some points to emphasise:

flicker-free backlight
good colour accuracy
even backlight brightness distribution
zero dead pixels
IPS panel gives very good viewing angles
blacks are good
three year warranty
superb stand - very solid and adujsts for height/tilt/rotation
not noticed any IPS "glow"
28" size
modest price

After about 500hours of operation there are no issues at all . BTW -if you look closely the Amazon reviews are actually for a mish-mash of similar Asus monitors.

I am also about to buy this and yeah most of the reviews on Amazon are for different styles. But I will still ask you this just as a suggestion. Should I proceed to buy it like I am coming from a 24 inch 1080p so is the 4k amazing on this monitor and how about the HDR.

Jul 2, 2020
Hi Zainpk60,

I went from a Dell IPS 24" to this one and yes, I think you should find the 4K amazing! I really can't say how good the HDR effect is as it's something I don't bother with as this is mainly my work monitor. IMHO the Tom's HARDWARE review seems pretty much spot-on so I think you could safely go with their take on HDR. I seem to recall that the maximum brightness, while plently bright enough for most purposes, is not quite enough to do HDR really well.

zainpk60

Commendable
Jul 24, 2018
Hi Zainpk60,

I went from a Dell IPS 24" to this one and yes, I think you should find the 4K amazing! I really can't say how good the HDR effect is as it's something I don't bother with as this is mainly my work monitor. IMHO the Tom's HARDWARE review seems pretty much spot-on so I think you could safely go with their take on HDR. I seem to recall that the maximum brightness, while plently bright enough for most purposes, is not quite enough to do HDR really well.

So do you think its worth the investment of £350.

Last edited: