Review Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wi-Fi Review: TUF Enough for a 5950X

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Confused. Do people still use a whole load of sata drives connected to their fancy, expensive, 'speed ninja' machine? I see the use of large sata ssd drives, but other than that, not so much. Heck, okay, 2x 6/12Tb spinners for storage? Fine. But 6/8 sockets?

Would rather have 3/4/5 m.2 slots.

Jan 20, 2021
I bought one of these a year ago, had nothing but problems with a Ryzen 9 3950x. It would spontaneously reboot all the time, it ran stable on an old bios version but this board doesn't have flashback and prevented it from going back, became a $200 paperweight. I replaced it with an Aorus Ryzen Master and while that also had reboot issues with the current BIOS, it does allow you to go backwards to a stable point. I ended up just giving this board away for free and regret that I bought it in the first place.

I was also using Gskill Trident Neo RAM on their QVL, docp/xmp1 and that might have been a factor but shouldn't have been if they did any QA testing. I went out of my way to find a $360 set that was specifically on their QVL list.

EDIT: Actually by bad. It is the TUF Gaming Plus WiFi i got XD very similar though. This has 2 PCIe 4.0 x16 (1 wired for 4x) and the Plus has the 2.5 and AX wifi vs 1G and AC.

Just got this with a Ryzen 5 3600. Have had no issues with it. I like how you have the ability to disable the Wifi on a hardware level in the BIOS.

Also one of the reason I got this is for the 8 SATA connectors. I have a Perc H310 controller with 8 drives on that, and the i have 5 of the 8 SATA ports used with room to spare if need be. I have a 256GB M.2 NVMe as the OS drive but no need for any more than that. My old Gigabyte FX990-UD3 had some parts to the VRM go POP, yet it still worked, had to take all my overclocks and everything off tho. It was starting to just give me more and more issues where i was having to reboot it more and more often. Didn't want a B550 board and this was the cheapest x570 board i could find that fix my needs.

Last edited:

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
I wish that more than 2 internal USB headers would become a thing. With AIO's and lighting, etc they fill up pretty fast. I've never used more than one Sata connection, and would happily swap out 2 of those for a USB header in it's place.

Reactions: bgunner
PRO... well if you don't need the Wifi 6, you can save some cash and go with https://pcpartpicker.com/product/McfFf7/asus-prime-x570-p-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-x570-p or the https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wh...plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus, any of those should be plenty enough to run the 5950X, even with PBO enable.

I still don't feel that overclocking such a powerfull CPU its worth it, not for gaming, not with the current GPUs we have (probbaly not with next gen either) and specially not for working, For working I rather have it at stock or with PBO enable but thats it.

jeff.vandyne

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
I just built a system around this board with a Ryzen 5 5600x and so far it's been perfectly stable. I had to update the BIOS and Ethernet drivers before I could maintain an internet connection but that's the only issue I've had. I'm another who purchased this in large part because it has 8 SATA connectors. My main computer almost always goes on to live a second life as a media server so I buy with that in mind. This is the first ASUS board and AMD processor I've bought in years so there's been a little bit learning curve with the system software but it's not bad.

Apr 1, 2020
Thanks for the review. Going to grab this board when it hits the $175 mark to replace my X370 Crosshair VI, with my 3700X I'll be set for a long time to come, though only 2 M.2 slots...ASUS needs to be slapped hard upside the head and make 3 minimum...

I wish that more than 2 internal USB headers would become a thing. With AIO's and lighting, etc they fill up pretty fast. I've never used more than one Sata connection, and would happily swap out 2 of those for a USB header in it's place.

Right? Even though I thought this was the one i got i actually got the TUF Gaming Plus WiFi but yea same issue to me! Two USB 2.0 headers thats it. My case has 2 3.0 and 2 2.0 so those use up one header each then my Corsair HX PSU and H115 both need a USB slot. I had to take the pins out of one of them and put it in the other so they can share a USB 2.0 header. I don't really care for the front or rear US as i use a 10 port power USB 3.0 Hub on my desk but still.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I will never buy a mobo with a proprietary small fan mounted on it. I had to throw away an expensive mobo when the fan stopped working and the board shut down. Just TRY to figure out how to replace that fan, just try.

Jan 20, 2021
@The3080rtxisalie
This has the bios flashback now and that's the main difference between the older "PLUS" x570 variant.

Too late to help me, but this board had a good 23 BIOS versions when I got rid of it, and none of the recent ones indicated they would lock you from being able to go back. I had similar rebooting problems on the Aorus Master as well so I think there is probably a common issue across all vendors with the CPU/Memory I had but still having people mail a board back with a month of downtime for this was dumb. Good on them if they realized so and took steps to fix it.

Jan 21, 2021
I have had this motherboard for about a year now and have good and bad things to say.

The good, it worked when the same MSI board, which I went through three of them, would not even power on. I have also had experience with the non WIFI version of this same board, both are fine, nothing special.

The bad, ASUS support. So I updated the BIOS, for some reason the motherboard freaked out and would not power back up. After trying the power supply, I found that it was the motherboard and went and bought the same board for $190 since I needed to RMA the one not working. Sent the board to ASUS and they said they needed to replace the board since it had surface scratches around the PCIE graphics slot and it would cost $180 for the repair. Surface scratches would not cause a motherboard to not get power after a BIOS update. The board freaked out for some reason and locked up during the BIOS update and never came back. Since it was a repair it only gets a 90 day warranty. How can ASUS, a company as large as they are actually think any of that is good practice. So all in all, they will not repair the board, I am getting it shipped back since there is no way I will pay basically retail for a board and only get 90 days of warranty when I can buy a new one for $10 more and get 3 years.

If you look it up you will find a lot of people have had the same issue with ASUS support. What it tells me, they have no confidence in their own product or see us as idiots who will just give them our money.

I may never buy an ASUS product again just due to their crap support.

oldbutslow

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
ASUS states that it only supports RAM speeds up to 2666, but you put in 4x8 3600 sticks. RAM speeds are confusing me. MSI says that it supports RAM speeds up to 4400. confused?

ASUS states that it only supports RAM speeds up to 2666, but you put in 4x8 3600 sticks. RAM speeds are confusing me. MSI says that it supports RAM speeds up to 4400. confused?

mmm not sure what you read but its there:

Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 5100(O.C)/4800(O.C.)/4600(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200/3000/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

just like most mobo makers. To be sure you have the best odds for choosing RAM, always take a look at the RAM support list for each maker and particular mobo:

ie, qvl for Ryzen 5000 series: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf (chek page 17 and beyond)

Cheers!

oldbutslow

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
mmm not sure what you read but its there:

Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 5100(O.C)/4800(O.C.)/4600(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200/3000/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

just like most mobo makers. To be sure you have the best odds for choosing RAM, always take a look at the RAM support list for each maker and particular mobo:

ie, qvl for Ryzen 5000 series: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf (chek page 17 and beyond)

Cheers!
so if asus says it supports 3600 (OC), you can put in a pc 3600 ram? or do you put in pc 3200 and OC it. or am I totally missing the (OC) thing?

You can try to OC memory, but is not easy, and usually its not enough to just raise the RAM data transfer "speed"/rate, if you wana do it right and get the best performance (if your RAM chips allows it, cause not all RAM chips are made the same) you will have to mess with voltages and subtimmings too.

If you wana be on the safe side, pick a memory kit thats included on the QVL, install it on the mobo and test if its work on its base speed.

Once you tested that Ok, go back to BIOS and enable XMP/DOCP profile, and as long as the CPU and the mobo support it (it should if its included on the qvl) the RAM should work at the advertised RAM data transfer "speed"/rate.

In any case I would really avoid anything over 3600, is not really worth the money.

Reactions: oldbutslow

yargd

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
This MB can only support 2666MHZ max before OC.
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI can support 3200MHZ before OC.
Does this make the AORUS better?

zherne

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I just bought Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro from Amazon! 😊

A few days ago, I bought an R7 5800X to replace my old 1700X on an X370 Corshair VI motherboard (don't laugh) ... 🤫

This time I did some research and the reviews seems to be positive.

I am a bit confused and scared about this mobo's BIOS.

According to this guy on YouTube, his Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro was compatible with 5800X straight out of the box without the need to update BIOS.

However, another guy (on Amazon) wrote that his mobo came with BIOS 1407 which will not boot Ryzen 5000 and he had to buy a second hand Ryzen 2600 in order to flash the BIOS.

zherne

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
If you got this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...aming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PRO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_CPU/ (but Im not sure since you didn't mention any WI-FI)

Then it said it support Ryzen 5800X since BIOS version 0314.

The guy on Amazong was probably complaining about a similar product. Or a different product was deliver to him and didn't realized of this. I do not know.

Yep, I got ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6) AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS Flashback, HDMI 2.1, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and Aura Sync)

Thanks!

I just bought Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro from Amazon! 😊

I am a bit confused and scared about this mobo's BIOS.

According to this guy on YouTube, his Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro was compatible with 5800X straight out of the box without the need to update BIOS.

However, another guy (on Amazon) wrote that his mobo came with BIOS 1407 which will not boot Ryzen 5000 and he had to buy a second hand Ryzen 2600 in order to flash the BIOS.

I recently purchased this motherboard, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO wi-fi 6, to replace my 2013 Sabertooth 990fx / FX8350 system and it came with the 1407 BIOS. I slapped in the 5800X and had no issues booting up for the first time but did get a beep code indicating there was no VGA installed. It must check the CPU for an i-GPU first but after it restarted itself it detected the discrete GPU and allowed me to load into the BIOS. This same thing happened when I updated the BIOS to the latest release so it is quirk of the board.

I agree that there needs to be more USB 2 headers on this board. My case has USB 2.0 and I have add in USB 3.0 /ssd bay for the faster speeds as needed and all my USB headers were filled before I got to plug in my USB for the AIO. This is a pain for sure.

I use 4 HDD's and 2 SSD's that all need Sata ports so having 8 ports was a plus for upgrading to the newer tech. I will get an M.2 drive eventually but was not forced into it when shelling out for Ram, CPU, Motherboard and PSU. Todays prices are ridiculous but this boards price was manageable for its features and 5000 series compatible.

I do have a few issues in the BIOS though, For some reason Quick boot will not enable, it does say it's enabled but I get a POST beep every time I boot so that just doesn't work for me for what ever reason. Setting it to diabled has no affect on boot times. Next is the manual configuration of the RAM timings, For some reason there is an extra setting after the CAS timing so it reads as 16-19-19-19-39 instead of the standard 16-19-19-39 timings that have been used for many years now. While this was very confusing and took a few hours to realize I goofed on setting the timings I enabled the D.O.C.P and it turned in to a set it and forget it deal like the article mentioned.

I too like the fact that you can shut off the Wi-Fi in the BIOS as I hard line my gaming PC's, a cool little feature. BIOS updating is made easy by using Asus' Easy Flash.

I do miss my sound card as it was a PCI interface but the onboard sound is great compared to what the old Asus Sabertooth I had. I just wish the software had a graphic equalizer with it to tweak the sound a bit to my liking.

The fan on the south bridge is a bit worrisome as it is not an easy replacement but I have found that many times its at 0 rpms. Watching video's it runs around 325-350 rpm's. While gaming it usually sits around 1200-1350 rpm's. I have a fan on the bottom of the case that blows upwards across the south bridge which I'm sure helps keep it cooler.