[SOLVED] ASUS TUF RGB case fans with Gigabyte MOBO

Aug 12, 2020
Hey there! I have the ASUS TUF GT301 case with the 3 stock RGB fans in the front connected to a HUB included in the case but because of a lack of knowledge, I got a MOBO without any ARGB headers lol. I'm looking into a new motherboard for RGB control, overclockability (10600K), and more features in general. The MOBO that seems the most compelling to me is the GIGABYTE Z490 UD so my question is, will I be able to control these fans or any fans connected to the hub included in the case with a MOBO that isn't from ASUS and doesn't use AURA for RGB control?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Solution
I'd ask you to keep it an all Asus affair and get an Asus motherboard with the necessary ARGB/RGB header on it so you can pair the fans without much back and forth. Often times people misread into any suggestions or mislabel a port or connector. In your case, the fans that the case comes with are ARGB and not RGB, they are two different standards.

So yeah, Asus board w/ ARGB header on it. For your endeavor, look for a Z490 chipset board with an ARGB header on it.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd ask you to keep it an all Asus affair and get an Asus motherboard with the necessary ARGB/RGB header on it so you can pair the fans without much back and forth. Often times people misread into any suggestions or mislabel a port or connector. In your case, the fans that the case comes with are ARGB and not RGB, they are two different standards.

So yeah, Asus board w/ ARGB header on it. For your endeavor, look for a Z490 chipset board with an ARGB header on it.

Solution
Aug 12, 2020

Thanks for answering! And how about if I just go with a new set of fans that support GIGABYTE RGB Fusion and just skip the hub as a whole?
I found ASUS MOBOs offering fewer features for the same price or even more expensive.. And after making that mistake with my current MOBO I'm well aware of the difference between ARGB and RGB haha.

Lutfij

Titan
If anything, just ditch the RGB thing...it's only more headaches with respect to connectivity and they don't add anything to the build except wasting some more money. Again, you're not solving the problem with swapping the fans, you're still left trying to calc the voltage on the LED strip end and the jumper for the board. The more failure points you have on a system, the more easy it is to ruin your build or worse, ruin your investements.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020
If anything, just ditch the RGB thing...it's only more headaches with respect to connectivity and they don't add anything to the build except wasting some more money. Again, you're not solving the problem with swapping the fans, you're still left trying to calc the voltage on the LED strip end and the jumper for the board. The more failure points you have on a system, the more easy it is to ruin your build or worse, ruin your investements.

I mean I obviously rather not ditch the RGB thing so I'm trying to find a solution that will let me keep that. I also don't understand why there would be failure points if I connect a 3 pin 5V ARGB connector to a 3 pin 5V ARGB header lol. I understand it's more expensive than no RGB but I'm interested in trying...

TRENDING THREADS