Asus TUF X470-Plus Gaming Review: Attractive Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
So you're telling me that a motherboard with far more inefficient VRM due to lack of phases (31W higher consumption than Gaming 7 in Prime/Furmark) is a good overclocking board? Have you measured the VRM temperatures at all?

This motherboard is a ticking timebomb if you plan on running 8 core CPU at high utilization.

Another thing regarding this motherboard in particular is that it shares the same VRM design with $75 ASUS motherboards (with addition of better capacitors, which in no way redeems the inadequacy of VRM in general).

Prime X470 Pro VRM is quite significantly better (it's the same VRM as on Strix SKUs) and it comes at nearly the same price.

For more info watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0MLtjFS1A

I'm not sure how I feel about the TUF brand being re-purposed like this. I'm sure that it made sense to ASUS to use an existing, and popular, type of branding to cover a market segment. The marketing and accounting departments probably thought it was a win, and no doubt profits will reflect that. Let us hope that, in the future, there is room to create a class of no-nonsense overclocking boards.

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
I don't know if you're trolling me, but I clearly state this in the overclocking section....
At these settings our Vreg heatsinks were starting to reach 131 C, so you'll want to pick a board with higher phase counts and bigger heatsinks for prolonged overclocks.

Anheanz

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I purchased this mobo from my local Microcenter and it was DOA. It was promptly replaced with a Gigabyte x470 gaming 5

jpe1701

Honorable
It seems like the vrms on the AMD boards are worse than Intel. At least the mid range and down anyways. I have the x370 taichi and the quality is fantastic though, the only thing lacking is the new agesa code bios update hasn't been released yet. All the other Asrock am4 motherboards have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.