[SOLVED] Asus Tuf x570 - boot drive disappears after installing second M.2

GiggsBoson

Honorable
Jul 31, 2014
Hello all, I just got a new PC and had everything working great and running smoothly. That was until I installed a second M.2 drive (WD) to the motherboard for more storage. Now BIOS fails to recognize my primary boot Samsung M.2 drive. All of the hardware is brand new.

Primary hardware giving me trouble:
  1. Motherboard:ASUS - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
  2. M.2_1: Primary drive with windows: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2280, 3500 / 3200 MB/s, V-NAND 3-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  3. M.2_2: WD SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 PCI-Express 3.0x4 SSD WDS100T2B0C

Now my primary Samsung boot drive wont post in BIOS but only recognizes my second drive or my windows boot USB.

So far I've tried:
  1. I enabled CSM in BIOS but still no luck. with both M.2's installed.
  2. I pulled M2_2 drive the (WD) and kept the Samsung drive in M.2_1. Still isn’t showing up in BIOS. Nothing in NVMe config or Sata.
  3. Put the Samsung in the M.2_2 and it’s not showing either. This is where the WD was showing. Did my Samsung drive cook for some reason?
As I said since installing the WD drive my Samsung drive no longer posts in BIOS and I'm unable to run windows. I thought this would be a pretty straight forward install.
Am I able to run two m.2 drive in this way? These are new to me for this build.

Any guidance is appreciated I've been stumped.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
I'm not using any sata ports just plugging the M.2 into the motherboard.
Would I need to plug in SATA despite this?
I'm sorry...I misunderstood your question.
I think it should have been a straighforward install.
...but now the Samsung isn't recognized anywhere correct?
I don't think anything should have happened to the Samsung drive....however...being it's not recognized...I'm skeptical of it....and if I was lucky enough to have another machine to try it in....I might do that. I don't see anything you are doing wrong.
I'm not using any sata ports just plugging the M.2 into the motherboard.
Would I need to plug in SATA despite this?
I don't think anything should have happened to the Samsung drive....however...being it's not recognized...I'm skeptical of it....and if I was lucky enough to have another machine to try it in....I might do that. I don't see anything you are doing wrong.

Solution

GiggsBoson

Honorable
Jul 31, 2014
Yes that is correct. Originally the system was working fine with the Samsung drive. When I added the WD drive the Samsung drive is no longer being recognized despite removing the WD drive and changing slots.

I don't think my old system is compatible with M.2's.