[SOLVED] ASUS TUF X570-Plus USB-C port charging, but no data transfer

bgeo25

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
I was just testing out the USB-C port on my X570-Plus WiFi and when connected to my phone, there is no option for data storage and my phone does not show up as a media device like it usually does. This issue leads me to believe that the port is only delivering power, but not allowing for data transfer. Has anybody else experienced this with this card and is there a BIOS setting to change it?
I tried to change the "USB Type C Power Switch" setting described in this article, but there is no such setting in my BIOS.

Specs:
  • ASUS TUF X570-Plus WiFi (BIOS v. 2802)
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 16GB 3200MHz memory
  • Radeon RX 5500 XT
  • Samsung EVO 970 500GB + Seagate BarraCuda 2TB
  • Fractal Meshify C
It's a new build and only about a month old. BIOS was updated to 2802 (the latest stable version at the time) when I built.

Last edited:
Solution
Turns out the USB-C port does support file transfer, but the cable was loose. A new cable, and holding the end of the cable firmly in place, did the trick.
Jan 14, 2021
Same thing here. x570 only seems to charge and no data transfer, which means I can't (unless I use the normal USB) to Tether using USB - C which I have a 100w cord for the Super fast charging on Note 10+, but its not Super fast anyways apparently through the computer. W

I have a 3900x 12 core
16GB 3600Mhz RAM
2TB Samsung Evo SSD 870
1060 FTW+ Edition 6GB GDDR5
850w PSU

Just built 2 weeks ago.

I seem to think it might be faulty as its really loose, and it will definitely try to pop up in the devices area, and the tether program I have will recognize it for a second then go away. Hope thats the same for OP as well??

bgeo25

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
Same thing here. x570 only seems to charge and no data transfer, which means I can't (unless I use the normal USB) to Tether using USB - C which I have a 100w cord for the Super fast charging on Note 10+, but its not Super fast anyways apparently through the computer. W

I have a 3900x 12 core
16GB 3600Mhz RAM
2TB Samsung Evo SSD 870
1060 FTW+ Edition 6GB GDDR5
850w PSU

Just built 2 weeks ago.

I seem to think it might be faulty as its really loose, and it will definitely try to pop up in the devices area, and the tether program I have will recognize it for a second then go away. Hope thats the same for OP as well??
Thanks for sharing that. I initially tried to connect my phone with two different cables. The first connector would not stay in my PC and there was no connection. The connector on the second cable plugs in, but I only get power. The cable is definitely a data cable because I've used it with other computers. It stays plugged in and just supplies power. No random disconnects.

The X570 manual also labels the USB Type C port as "USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10Gbps) port (Type-C)" in the diagram showing the rear I/O connections. Now I'm wondering if it's falsely advertised or only works with certain cords..?

bgeo25

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
Turns out the USB-C port does support file transfer, but the cable was loose. A new cable, and holding the end of the cable firmly in place, did the trick.

Solution