[SOLVED] ASUS Tuf x570 Plus WiFi: white and yellow-green Q-Led lights stay on after BIOS update ?

Nov 29, 2021
My specs:
AMD 3900x
64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
ASUS Tuf x570 Plus WIFi
M.2 Boot drive
Nvidia 1070 GPU

I updated the bios to the newest version on the ASUS site and then ever since I cannot boot to bios or Windows 11. It constantly has the white and yellow-green Q-Led lights on. Everything was working fine before the update. I tried the graphics card in an old PC that I had laying around. No other GPU to swap into this rig. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I can't understand how updating the bios caused this.

Solution
I updated the bios to the newest version

Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason what-so-ever to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked.

At current moment...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I updated the bios to the newest version

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason what-so-ever to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked.

At current moment, my best guess is that you've damaged the MoBo BIOS chip and now, you have corrupt BIOS. PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS and only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

It constantly has the white and yellow-green Q-Led lights on.

Consult the holy bible of PCs (aka MoBo manual) to know what those Q-LED lights mean. Answer is on page 1-8.

Solution

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
I disagree with Aeacus, updating your bios is often essential. Things can go wrong, but I have updated my bios many many times and nothing ever happened. Bios chips are often replaceable so that may be an option. I have that same motherboard and processor and have updated my bios at least five or six times.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Things can go wrong, but I have updated my bios many many times and nothing ever happened.

Just because nothing ever happened to YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or doesn't need to be taken seriously.

There are loads and loads of such topics in here, TH forums, where MoBos got bricked by (failed) BIOS update. Are you going to go and say to all those people that they imagined all that and their hardware is working just fine?

updating your bios is often essential

It is essential if you know for a fact that you need newer BIOS, e.g to get newer CPU to run on that MoBo. Without a good reason, there is no point to poke around with BIOS update.

Nov 29, 2021
I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and I wanted the TPM to work so it would be compatible with Win 11.

Consult the holy bible of PCs (aka MoBo manual) to know what those Q-LED lights mean. Answer is on page 1-8.
I did that and it said VGA and boot device error. How I solved it was to unplug my primary and tertiary monitors. It would only boot with the secondary plugged in. And then I had to turn on CSM for it to boot from my M.2 drive. It was frustrating to say the least.