Asus: Ultrabooks Won't Threaten Tablet Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Ivy Bridge will also reportedly enable ultrabooks with 13.3-inch displays to sport a hefty resolution of 2560 x 1440, or rather, "retina quality." You can barely find a 15' with 1080p and can they REALLY support that res with intel gpus

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Ivy Bridge will also reportedly enable ultrabooks with 13.3-inch displays to sport a hefty resolution of 2560 x 1440, or rather, 'retina quality.'"

By my math, the retina display clocks in at 326 pixels per inch and a 13.3" at 2560x1440, "only" 221... so not quite "retina quality".

To match the PPI of an iPhone on a 13.3" display, you'd need 3776x2124 [assuming I did all of my math right :)].

halcyon

Splendid
Well, given that Apple can't seem to make a retina display more the 3.5" (is that why we don't have an iPhone w/a 4" display?) I don't see a 13+" "retina"-quality display coming too soon.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
"To match the PPI of an iPhone on a 13.3" display, you'd need 3776x2124"

I didn't check your math, but you don't need the same PPI for an ultrabook as you do for a phone. Ultrabooks will typically be viewed from farther distances so the PPI can be less while still being just as detailed as the eye.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]"To match the PPI of an iPhone on a 13.3" display, you'd need 3776x2124"I didn't check your math, but you don't need the same PPI for an ultrabook as you do for a phone. Ultrabooks will typically be viewed from farther distances so the PPI can be less while still being just as detailed as the eye.[/citation]

...but it'd be nice if the PPI wasn't less...for crystal-clear images.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Know one wants one of these makes no since this is so dumb. The hardware you get for the money is not worth it.[/citation]

I think you're very wrong. There's a lot of business executives that would be all over something like this, just like they're all over the MacBook Air for the same reason. ...how much the device costs is not their chief consideration, if a consideration at all.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Know one wants one of these makes no since this is so dumb. The hardware you get for the money is not worth it.[/citation]

You're illiterate.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]LOL, since when is Apple a leader when it comes to new tech?[/citation]

I'm not sure about this, so please forgive me if I'm wrong. ...but was there another cell phone manufacturer with a ppi density the same as, or higher than, the iPhone 4? While I do wish it was larger I enjoy the display quality of the iPhone 4.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

It's a gimmick, for hell's sake! I compared this "quality" to any other good phone's display around and there's no visual difference :pfff: SGS 2 screen >>> iPhone screen

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]I didn't check your math, but...[/citation]

Good point, and thanks for not embarrassing me by checking my math :)

halcyon

Splendid

The screen on the HTC Evo I had must have been especially poor.

halcyon

Splendid
...jumping off topic a little here...

I guess I don't spend enough time using my phone to see why a phone would need to have a dual-core CPU processor. ...but I'm told iOS5 needs it more than iOS4. ...besides that Siri [strike]gimmick[/strike] feature I'll be interested to know what else needs it. My iP4 doesn't seem all that slow. ...but if a dc CPU is going to make web-browsing much faster...yea!

Is it games that require all this processing speed on phones or just the OS?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I actually don't know. Android software is mostly Java, so that requires a tiny bit more power... I guess a dual core would help with HD videos and Flash but wait... no Flash on the iPhone :kaola:

But seriously, I'm more after features and connectivity rather than raw CPU power. WTF am I gonna use it for, play Angry Birds and NFS on my phone? :lol: I always evaluated phones by the amount of functions they have and not the processing power. Phone is like a multitool; there're all kinds of very useful apps out there, and most of them won't need a beefy CPU.

EDIT: "CPU processor" = "central processing unit processor"... did you just create a processor that processes CPUs? :D

G

1) I think Samsung make Apple's mobile screens so I guess that determines their resolution?
2) Can we please for once have a modern computer with a wide gamut display? To me being able to see colours as they were intended is just as important as resolution, if not more so.

An ultrabook with rapid startup, decent RAM, 64-bit Windows 8, a screen of 1200 or more pixels and capable of displaying 100% of sRGB - I'd part with the best part of a grand for that!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ChrisUK[/nom]1) I think Samsung make Apple's mobile screens so I guess that determines their resolution?2) Can we please for once have a modern computer with a wide gamut display? To me being able to see colours as they were intended is just as important as resolution, if not more so.An ultrabook with rapid startup, decent RAM, 64-bit Windows 8, a screen of 1200 or more pixels and capable of displaying 100% of sRGB - I'd part with the best part of a grand for that![/citation]

I don't think we'll see it for a while, but Apple is getting closer. The The 13" MacBook Air's 1400x900 display is rated well. It'd undoubtedly cost more to make a screen that could display 100% sRGB...and they'd probably not put such in an Ultrabook for ~$1K.

Halfway through posting this I looked this up and was very surprised at how well the Apple laptops did, especially the MacBook Air. My 2011 15" MBP didn't do great, but didn't do bad, especially comparatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS