Asus Unleashes A B250 Mining Motherboard With 19 PCIe Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn between making a mining rig with the above or buying an Antminer S9.

The mining rig with Geforce 1070s has some resale value once they become obsolete for mining versus the Antminer S9 having close to no resale value once it becomes unprofitable, although from what I'm hearing that may take a while.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I wonder how this would also work for a folding rig? I can imagine that the workloads are pretty similar, and instead of mining for profit, we could instead contribute better to the dominance of Toms Hardware folding team in the annual Toms/Anand folding battle.

Either that or you could make the mother of all PFSense routers...

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
"This allows miners to utilize up to eight Radeon and eight GeForce graphics cards simultaneously. "

What can you do with the 3 slots that are left then?

It isn't as stupid as you think.

I could imagine such a rig with Threadripper running 16 different Eve instances at the same time.

Eve encourages you to have multiple accounts.

The only downfall here is that it is much more practical to use 1-2 Titans or Geforce 1080Ti to run 16 instances of Eve

dstarr3

Distinguished

I don't know why you'd use vegetable oil, that's going to go rancid before long and stink up the house, probably attract a legion of insects. Mineral oil is what you're supposed to use in such a circumstance.

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I just got this board today. The biggest problem it has (and I didn't know because the asus product webpage wasn't available until after I bought it) is that you can only address 16 GPUs whether in Linux or windows (which itself has a 10 gpu limit). This makes the "19" slots borderline false advertising, as they specifically mention the mining use case. Anyway it's still better designed than the asrock H110 btc+ (which has 13 pcie slots fyi) as the pcie slots are far apart and you can use powered risers. The only thing the asrock board has going for it is integrated power and reset buttons on the board. I have to buy extra switches now to turn on my mining board! Big oversight asus...

dmylrea

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Not into mining at all, but wondered what kind of GPU cards one would plug into those tiny PCI-e slots? They certainly won't fit normal cards so there must be some sort of special GPU cards?

jhakesong

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
Does it really require 3 PSUs before it turns ON though only using one GPU for now? Can`t get mine to turn ON.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

you need to buy riser card for each slot

71UtOs3jXEL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mining-Express-Adapter-Extension-Ethereum/dp/B0749RXBCL

and here is how bitcoin mining looks like

20170711_150621.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.