Asus Unlocks Overclocking on Non Z-Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
This is really awesome. Now the unlocked pentium makes even more sense. I can buy it a great board for the price and then I can upgrade to a K unlocked i5 or i7 later. Or I can get a cheap board overclock my pentium and be about on par with an i3 for much cheaper. This is going to make cheap builds so much easier now for people on a really tight budget, while still offering greatly increased performance with many upgrades still available.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I'd assumed that Asus kept it disabled on non-Z motherboards because the hardware wasn't up to delivering much performance while remaining stable. Even some of the lower-end Z-series motherboards struggle a bit. Or, who knows, maybe that's what Asus initially thought in development, as well, and after some time of research, they decided it's safe after all. Either way, good timing regarding the latest Celeron.

This will put the nail in the coffin for cheap AMD builds. AMD will need to come out with something to counter this move by Intel. I'm all for cheap and OC'able systems, but this has put AMD in a tougher position, IMHO.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
All I read was "this is great for the consumer" :)

If only Graphics cards can go through something similar next...those prices are truly ridiculous, especially here in sunny South Africa where our Rand is becoming the next Zim-dollar

jee_are

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
"The overclocking can only be done through adjusting the multiplier, though."

Does that mean you can't adjust the Vcore? That would kind of limit the overclocking potential.

BleedingEdgeTek

Reputable
May 29, 2014

I overclocked my 4670k on the MSI H97 g43. It doesn't apply on boot, but you can overclock it through Command Center. I had no idea this was even newsworthy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS