Asus Unveils First USB 3.0 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Man is this going to get annoyingly confusing with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports right near each other[/citation]
the usb 3s are blue.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
So, the buying price of $299 is inflated for just TWO USB 3.0 ports? Like that's a buying factor for a motherboard anyway... but we'd also have to buy a third-party controller? Sounds like a "great" deal.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm with El_Capitan with the wait for USB 3. Sata 3.0 can wait as well. As for PCIe 3.0 WHY!? Nothing that has come out can even saturate a single 16x bus. The only use that I see is for SLI and even then if you buy a decent board you can at least get 2 2.0 x16 slots.

insaneclowngod

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]but we'd also have to buy a third-party controller? Sounds like a "great" deal.[/citation]
The controller is built on to the motherboard, so you would not need to buy anything other than the board.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
They just wanted to be the first to jump out on this..., soon enough, USB 3.0 will be the standard as it is backwards-compatible with USB 2.0 devices. all motherboards will have only USB 3.0 ports soon enough, chipset design will follow suit, thy have to...

G

So is the USB 3-controller implemented in such a way as to not be bottlenecked on a single PCIe-line?

If it is this would be kinda pointless as USB 3-devices are likely to be backwards compatible anyway.

[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]still waiting for sata 3 and pcie 3[/citation]
SATA 3 will be worth waiting for... IF YOU USE A SOLID STATE DRIVE!
Otherwise SATA 2 is more than enough.
ALSO
Same story for PCIe 3.0
I don't know of any video cards that can reach the max capability of a PCIe (16X) slot. You really don't need more until technology advances on other fronts.

monicas

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I think its really good to see a company step up and push 3.0 out to market. I've always liked Asus products and it seems that they are always pushing the standards at least on motherboards. Along with Gigabyte, they make some of the best mobo's around. So its no surprise they did this.

Not sure what 3.0 devices are currently out! Anyone know?

Monica S
Los Angeles Computer Repair
http://www.sebecomputercare.com

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
What is the selling point of USB 3.0. Faster data transfer with storage devices? eSATA aready offers that and my keyboard does not need something 10 times faster USB 2.0 to work correctly.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
World's first USB 3.0 motherboard with very horrible RMA support. I'll be impressed when Evga comes out with theirs. *sweeps this Asus product under the carpet*

Lucid Moments

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
[citation][nom]agentjon[/nom]What is the selling point of USB 3.0. Faster data transfer with storage devices? eSATA aready offers that and my keyboard does not need something 10 times faster USB 2.0 to work correctly.[/citation]

eSATA is adequate for a fixed implementation, but a portable device would work much better with USB3.0 since it supplies the power also.

itrendslave

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]Aside from the two USB 3.0 ports, the Xtreme Design P7DP55DE-E Premium has 10 USB 2.0 ports, six 3GB per second SATA ports, two 6GB per second SATA ports, two PCIe x16 graphic card slots and two Gigabit Ethernet ports.[/citation]

This is incorrect and is likely confusing people. GB = gigaBYTE. Gb = gigabit. (8 bits in a byte) Those numbers should DEFINITELY not be gigaBYTE. You've got the numbers correct, but they're gigaBIT speeds.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Awesome, I wasn't expecting USB 3 boards until early next year. Aside from them being blue colored, are the USB 3 connections the same shape as USB 1 & 2?

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Is there any equipment out there that supports USB 3 to use it with?

Same goes for SATA 3, though I think a few drives were introduced with SATA 3, just not sure if they actually sell them yet.

And of-course the biggest problem - bottleneck. Especially with P55 that only has a 2GB/s DMI linking the peripherals.

I think USB 3 and SATA 3 will only pay off once PCI Express 3 comes out, assuming by then there will be affordable devices that can actually benefit from all those three new 3rd generation technologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.