News Asus Unveils Massive Threadripper 7000 HEDT Motherboard With 36 Power Stages

I'm really curious what market Asus is aiming at with this board. It has a lot of PCIe connectivity, but I'm curious how the 3x PCIe x16 5.0 slots work with 2x PCIe 5.0 M.2. On the other hand they have overkill VRMs, stuck with 1DPC and single 10gb LAN.

This seems more like a board that would have existed when HEDT was really a thing, but it will cost $800 minimum with the cheapest CPU you can get being $1500 and DRAM starting at around $400 (for 6000).

Though looking through other TRX50 boards they all seem to have weird corners cut (all different), overkill VRMs (maybe this says something about TR 7000 power delivery) and 1DPC.

edit: totally didn't realize all Zen 4 TR were limited to 1DPC

Last edited:

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It would be good to see how well the new threadripper CPUs overclock, especially considering that AMD tends to run individual cores at rather low clock speeds.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
This CPU orientation can hardly be described as "unusual" or "unique" - this is the standard orientation for servers and workstations. The reason is exactly the one mentioned: front intake fans together with funnels can be used to cool everything: CPU, memory, CPU power delivery, GPU.

If ASUS were to rotate this socket for just the HEDT motherboard, that would be the unusual orientation.
Why only four dimm slots?
Threadripper non-Pro 7000 series has 4 memory channels. Both Pro and non-Pro only support 1 RDIMM per channel.

Note that RDIMMs can have higher capacities than desktop UDIMMs. I believe at least 256GB DDR5 RDIMMs are available.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023
Threadripper non-Pro 7000 series has 4 memory channels. Both Pro and non-Pro only support 1 RDIMM per channel.

Note that RDIMMs can have higher capacities than desktop UDIMMs. I believe at least 256GB DDR5 RDIMMs are available.
The Threadripper Pros have 8 memory channels. Isn't using only 4 of them cutting memory bandwidth by close to 50%, even when using RDIMMs? Also, don't UDIMMs have a lower latency? If the board had 8 DIMM slots (1 DIMM per channel), wouldn't there be nearly twice the memory bandwidth? Not an engineer, just asking.

I had missed this entirely, thanks for calling attention to it. I guess I just assumed they would never have that limitation especially since 32GB capacity is the highest RDIMMs go once you are above 4800 right now.
128GB right now, and they're insanely expensive (over $1000 per stick), but 256GB will definitely be coming.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
The Threadripper Pros have 8 memory channels. Isn't using only 4 of them cutting memory bandwidth by close to 50%, even when using RDIMMs? Also, don't UDIMMs have a lower latency? If the board had 8 DIMM slots (1 DIMM per channel), wouldn't there be nearly twice the memory bandwidth? Not an engineer, just asking.
This is a TRX50 chipset based motherboard, primarily intended for Threadripper non-pro 7000. That is the "HEDT" mentioned in the title - as opposed to Pro that is "workstation".

While you can run the WX CPUs on this as well, you won't get to take advantage of the doubled memory channels and extra PCIe Gen 5 lanes. You'd need a WRX90-based motherboard for that.

Reactions: oldandcranky

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
The Threadripper Pros have 8 memory channels. Isn't using only 4 of them cutting memory bandwidth by close to 50%, even when using RDIMMs?

As per the article you just read:

"The board is aimed at workstation users who don't want to shell out $10,000 for AMD's flagship Threadripper Pro 7000WX chips..."

and you also read that:

"Asus' new board is designed specifically for AMD's new Ryzen 7000 Threadripper HEDT parts, featuring up to 64 cores, quad-channel DDR5 memory support, and up to 48 PCIe Gen 5 lanes. For the Ryzen Threadripper Pro 7000WX series, Asus will release an SE version of this board to support AMD's more feature-rich workstation chips."

so you know this board isn't going to support the full feature set of a Threadripper Pro. It's pretty clear from your math that you already understood the performance implications in that case and knew the answer to what you were asking.