Asus Unveils Project Precog, a Dual-Screen Laptop With Built-in A.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
So the "AI" is just following your movement to display the virtual keyboard and arrange some windows. Don't forget to put some GAMER, ROG, PUBG compatible, PRO, BLOCKCHAIN stickers while your at it, to make it more appealing to the gullible crowd.

Giroro

Splendid
I remember seeing a very similar dual-screen laptop at CES 2010 - but I think that one was by Acer, not Asus.

My impression at the time is that it was inferior to a regular laptop in every conceivable way since adding a second screen generates more heat, essentially halves the battery life, and makes it far harder to do basic things like type and move the mouse around - which is a pretty big deal since the traditional interface is pretty much 100% of the reason that people buy a laptop instead of a tablet in the first place. Plus, especially thanks to LCD price fixing at the time, adding a second screen also would have nearly doubled the cost of the device.
So I expect "project precog" to be the same basic thing: An incredibly heavy tablet with battery life that was far worse than a normal tablet, and it would be far too expensive if it were to ever come to market, which it won't. Except this one has some kind of off-brand digital assistant with always-on cameras recording you and selling all your info to... somewhere, I guess.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
I've been wondering for about a year now when someone would come up with a laptop like this. With all the improvements in touchscreen response and a large number of people using touchscreens on their phones for texting, it will be much easier now for someone to get used to typing regularly on the touchscreen keyboard. Something like this could allow a ton of flexibility for all different uses, certainly more so than the MacBook Pro's touchbar. Good job Asus!

Status
Not open for further replies.