News Asus Unveils Trio of AMD X670E AM5 Motherboards For Zen 4

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
“In addition to the ROG Crosshair X670E Hero Extreme motherboard for gamers with deep pockets, Asus also introduced its ROG Crosshair X670E Hero as well as ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Wi-Fi designed for those who do not want to pay for crème-de-la-crème flagship yet want to have everything that the new AMD X670E platform has to offer, and the TUF Gaming X670E-Plus Wi-Fi aimed at those who seek for premium features yet does not want to spend a small fortune on a motherboard.”

A run on sentence so nice, you had to write it twice.

First thought straight off the bat is that they look nice with decent features but are probably gonna cost an arm and a leg.

Second thought is I wonder when/how ITX and M-ATX boards are gonna be shipped. Is there even going to be enough board space for x670/e ITX or M-ATX boards? My guess is that other form factors are gonna be released a lot later than initial release and probably ship when the more budget chipsets get released, but maybe I'll be wrong?

First thought straight off the bat is that they look nice with decent features but are probably gonna cost an arm and a leg.

Second thought is I wonder when/how ITX and M-ATX boards are gonna be shipped. Is there even going to be enough board space for x670/e ITX or M-ATX boards? My guess is that other form factors are gonna be released a lot later than initial release and probably ship when the more budget chipsets get released, but maybe I'll be wrong?

I also want to see the mini-ITX options. My dream board would have a PCIe 5.0 x16 - qty 1, PCIe 5.0 x4 - qty 1-2 m.2, 10GBe multi-speed onboard NIC, and some USB4/TB ports. I don't really care about WiFi, but throw on a WiFi 6E or prototype 7 if possible. Now, for that, I'd pay more than the $200 I paid for my last board - even $300-400. $400 is where I draw the line, though.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
But if Zen 4 doesn't blow the doors off of Raptor Lake, will these $600+ motherboards actually sell?
Thats why I'm unsure about the prices that are on some retailers right now for preorder and stuff? Do AMD really expect Zen 4 to be so much better than Raptor Lake that they can basically double prices for motherboards? Seems absolutely absurd to me since it seems that Raptor Lake and Zen 4 are pretty close or Raptor Lake is somewhat ahead.

Was really looking forward to Zen 4 and Raptor Lake but after seeing the prices, I'm having second thoughts. I'm even pessimistic for Raptor Lake now since there's no way in hell Intel isn't also gonna raise prices to match AMD.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I am not sure how popular Ryzen 7000 series will be. The issue will be cost of boards. It doesn't make sense to buy a $500 board in order to use a $400 cpu....

Let's see when AMD will launch b660 boards. It took a long long time for b550 board to drop to acceptable levels. Due to price, I kept my b450 and 3600. Right now, there is simply no reason to buy 5600 anymore when I could simply upgrade to alderlake instead.

Apr 1, 2020
I am not sure how popular Ryzen 7000 series will be. The issue will be cost of boards. It doesn't make sense to buy a $500 board in order to use a $400 cpu....

Let's see when AMD will launch b660 boards. It took a long long time for b550 board to drop to acceptable levels. Due to price, I kept my b450 and 3600. Right now, there is simply no reason to buy 5600 anymore when I could simply upgrade to alderlake instead.

It's even worse than that, with prices looking to be double what the 5000 series are for the same core counts, and higher than Alder Lake's prices, all for a marginal IPC increase. If Intel keeps prices about the same for Rocket Lake's motherboards, which they should since they are compatible with existing Alder Lake boards, then you're talking twice the price compared to Intel.

It is seriously shaping up like AMD doesn't care about selling any consumer CPUs this generation.

Ryzen 7000 Retailer Pricing Shows Big Hike Over Ryzen 5000 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

mwestall

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
It's even worse than that, with prices looking to be double what the 5000 series are for the same core counts, and higher than Alder Lake's prices, all for a marginal IPC increase. If Intel keeps prices about the same for Rocket Lake's motherboards, which they should since they are compatible with existing Alder Lake boards, then you're talking twice the price compared to Intel.

It is seriously shaping up like AMD doesn't care about selling any consumer CPUs this generation.

Ryzen 7000 Retailer Pricing Shows Big Hike Over Ryzen 5000 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

The article says 10-15% higher, not double.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Yea prices for motherboards better start coming down or they won't sell anything. I've always be an early adopter but it might be time to just play the wait and see game.

gamr

Prominent
Jul 29, 2022

this

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-...es-might-stay-put-leaving-intel-out-on-a-limb