Question Asus USB AC-68 wifi adapter only works with under 50 network channels

lemonz54

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I've been trying to diagnose this adapter however I cannot figure out why my 5GHz network only works when my router is set to a channel between 36 and 48. Anything above that, the 5GHz network cannot discover it.

Does anyone know what I can do to make it work above channel 48?

It depends on the country you live in those may be the only channels allowed where you live.

The channels in the 50-144 range are not allowed or very restricted in most countries. Where they are allowed they must detect stuff like weather radar and deactivate themselves if they find it. Weather radar is not on constantly so it makes it even more of a challange to not interfere. Most wifi manufactures have decided not to deal with this so the radio does not even support it. Even in areas it does you can not manually set the channels it any more after some fcc regularization a few years ago it only works in auto mode.

The high block of channels 148-165 is allowed in many countries but not all. It has very limited output power in some.

lemonz54

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Is there congestion on those channels? If not why worry?
While on a low channel 5GHz network, I drop 10Mbps and my ping spikes regularly. Because of this I'm assuming that there is some congestion due to the lower channels. The reason

It depends on the country you live in those may be the only channels allowed where you live.

The channels in the 50-144 range are not allowed or very restricted in most countries. Where they are allowed they must detect stuff like weather radar and deactivate themselves if they find it. Weather radar is not on constantly so it makes it even more of a challange to not interfere. Most wifi manufactures have decided not to deal with this so the radio does not even support it. Even in areas it does you can not manually set the channels it any more after some fcc regularization a few years ago it only works in auto mode.

The high block of channels 148-165 is allowed in many countries but not all. It has very limited output power in some.

I'm in the US so compatibility issues shouldn't really exist.148-161 don't work either.

I forgot to mention that my wifi adapter worked just fine until the past few days and it was just recently that I had noticed my 5GHz network disappeared and I figured out that I would be stuck on 2.4GHz unless I switched over to a lower channel 5GHz. But it's just not the same as it was before, if not worse since I also upgraded from 50Mbps to 100Mbps internet

You have few options. You set the channels you want on the router and the end device either connects or it does not. Its hard to say why it would not see the higher block. Used to be you could load drivers for different countries and fake this stuff out but now the allowed channels are somehow locked into the hardware when it is manufactured. If it is a model for the USA market it should see the signal. I know you can set something like channel width in some end clients. Maybe if that is set it will not see signals that do not match.

These devices are pretty locked down on what you can set anymore so they pretty much work or they do not.

lemonz54

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
You have few options. You set the channels you want on the router and the end device either connects or it does not. Its hard to say why it would not see the higher block. Used to be you could load drivers for different countries and fake this stuff out but now the allowed channels are somehow locked into the hardware when it is manufactured. If it is a model for the USA market it should see the signal. I know you can set something like channel width in some end clients. Maybe if that is set it will not see signals that do not match.

These devices are pretty locked down on what you can set anymore so they pretty much work or they do not.
Are there any settings I can change inside the wifi adapters settings?
View: https://imgur.com/z7sNrPj