Asus V8460 voltage problem on asus P4S8X mainboard

Ruffy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I have just assembled a new Pc and everything is working properly exept for these 2 things:

1. The Power Fan Speed is too low in the Hardware monitor of
the Bios ( around 1660 RPM ).

2. The voltage supply for my Asus V8460 128 MB card isnt
working properly. The Asus Smartdoctor gives this message
on the voltage supply :

(in red: 1.58 V )

"Your VGA card voltage 3.3 is out of safe bound.
Motherboard doesnt supply reliable 3.3 voltage.
Please contact with motherboard manufacturer for help
(pffff just try it)."

Heres is a List of the Hardware:

Powersupply : 350 W
Mainboard: Asus P4S8X
Chip: Intel P4 Northwood 2.4GHZ
Graphic-card: Asus G4 V8460 ultra/deluxe 128MB
Soundcard: Creative SB Audigy
RAM: Samsung 2700 512MB DDR

Bios : Award Medallion Bios v6.0
ASUS P4S8X ACPI Bios Revision 1003A ( dunno if this
important )

I have read that a lot of people had problems with the asus p4s8x mainboard with win2k or xp, but mostly with memory,installing windows, or Vcore problems.

If anyone can help me with my problems please write me here.
I am not very much into Hardware. I can correctly assemble a computer, but thats it :) Please help me if you can.

I am sorry for my bad english ( i am from Bavaria )
I am sorry if a similar post was already made, but i checked a lot of threads and couldnt find any solution.

Thank you for reading this. I hope someone can help me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy answer? The card is an AGP4x 1.5v card, it doesn't use the 3.3v line? 1.58v is fine for a 1.50v card.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ruffy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Thank you :) but I know that already. Now the agp 4x is activated but I have the same message as before only with 1.5 V . The Smartdoctor says that the mainboard doesnt supply reliable 1.5 voltage. :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably because it's "more than 10% off". But it's still OK d00d, in fact, it's probably set higher by the motherboard by default. My last Asus board ran the 3.3v line at 3.45v by design.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ruffy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Ok well I hope its ok...

Still doubts are nagging me :)

But I dont know what to do with the Power-supply fan-speed. Should I buy a new Power-supply ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus has been known to bump the default 3.3v level up slightly to aid in stability. A lot of their boards had a jumper selection for 3.3v (stock), 3.45v, 3.6v, with 3.45v being the factory setting.

Ruffy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Then why does the smartdoctor show me a voltage of 1.58 V ?

But anyway I will check the jumpers.

THX :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AGP can operate at either 3.3v (official) or 1.5v (official). Now, if you take 3.45v which Asus often uses by default for the 3.3v line, and divide by 3.3, then multiply by 1.5, you get 1.57v. That's close enough to 1.58v in my book.

You see, 1.5v is taken off the 3.3v line.

Ruffy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Ok Thanks Crashman. Everything is running perfectly well...even Smartdoctor isnt complaining any more about the 1.58 Voltage after I re-installed it.

The only Thing that bothers me, is that the System chrashes from time to time when I play SOF2....but that may be the new Nvidia drivers.....