Asus VG245H 24-inch FreeSync Gaming Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
75Hz should not have the "Gaming" Tag next to the product, this is Office class hardware territory, even with the FreeSync tech. I have 60Hz FreeSync monitor and i`m alwasy outside the range of Freesync.

I was wondering... Is there a chance for Toms to include Monitor OC? I have a feeling this monitor, as it is out of the box, is not telling the whole story...

In any case, thanks for the review. For the price, it doesn't appeal to me, TBH. Not even for mundane tasks/use.

Cheers!

Michael_498

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
@Ohim: This is a nice sentence. One says it, the others copy it. Like in School. But let's think about it (which is different from School). If we synchronize the whole line from game over graphics Card to, finally, the Screen, we don't Need really more than 50-60 Hz because we cannot recognize it. More is only needed without Synchronisation, if it works the way I mentioned, which is still a long way to go for the industry. So be careful with your claims, especially with "even with G-Sync".

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

I know what i`m talking about since i own a product as such, do you ? I`m gaming on a 3440x1440 34" LG monitor with freesync in the range of 40 to 60. In games like Battlefield 1 at Ultra i have the game sitting in that range and it is ok, but every other game will be way outside this range and thus making the FreeSync useless, Gsync at 60 Hz is just as useless.

You might say turn v-sync on and/or cap frames at 60, that`s a no go, unnecessary input lag induced for the joy of smooth frames. If you play games competitively (you do call yourself a gamer and buy a gaming product) then you want as much FPS as you can get for fast reactions. Some might say what`s the point of 150 FPS if you have a 60 Hz monitor, it is all about input and reactions and it helps, so if you come with a 60Hz/75Hz monitor and call it a "gaming" monitor i will laugh in your face.

Manufacturers are milking the hell out of the "gaming" tag, at this point this monitor has nothing special about it, it`s a TN 24" monitor with added Freesync (this costs almost nothing to implement) so why ask 200$ for a monitor that is normally 100-150$ and doesn`t have anything to do with gaming ?

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I think the value here is fantastic, with FreeSync. I can understand that most people reading this are enthusiasts with bigger budgets and higher standards, but outside of this readership I don't think most people want to spend more than 150-200 dollars on a monitor.

And why would an enthusiast with a lesser budget want a Freesync monitor?

For that price you're 100 times better off with a non-Freesync 120Hz TN monitor like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display/dp/B00KO4518I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482255634&sr=8-3&keywords=120hz+monitor

Cheers!

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I'd imagine because to some people, the improved fidelity of 120Hz is not better than screen tearing. But the beauty here is that we have options-- I'd personally pick 60Hz FreeSync over 120Hz non-FreeSync (with preference to having both if I wasn't on a budget) but to each his own, right?

True, but I still find it odd that someone would chose a very limited Freesync (or even GSync) range of operation over a *way* more fluid experience. I moved from a 60Hz -> 120Hz -> 144Hz w/Freesync and the difference from the 60Hz to the 120Hz is day and night, but 120Hz to 144Hz+FS is not that much. Having a big range for the Sync technologies is kind of a big deal. Having only 40Hz of lower limit (mine has 35Hz) will still give you tearing when the (budget scenario) GPU can't push the pixels fast enough. At 120Hz, the screen refresh is so fast the tearing is lessened by a huge amount, so it becomes less of an issue; still there, but not as bad as 60Hz.

In any case, you are right; more choice is better. Although I'm still puzzled on why you would go with this monitor.

Cheers!

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

In my case, I'm extremely sensitive to stutters and screen tearing. I can see both, clears as day, regardless of refresh rate. FreeSync/G-Sync has been the only legitimate solution to these visual artifacts. So 60Hz that allows for some frame dips with FreeSync to prevent vsync stutters is infinitely more pleasing to the eye than 120Hz with stutters and/or screen tearing, for me personally. I am aware however, not everyone notices or even sees either of these. What we perceive is a subjective affair.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
This AOC reviewed here at TH is $199 on Amazon just click the link in the review.
144Hz FreeSync between 35 and 144Hz.

"For its solid image quality, trouble-free 144Hz refresh rate, and wide FreeSync range, we’re giving it our Tom’s Hardware Editor Approved Award."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-g2460pf-24-inch-144hz-freesync-monitor,4743.html

AMAZON LINK:

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?&tag=bom-tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B01BV1XBEI[tid|14823485675302[bbc|LESPRIX

ArushK

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Anyone know if 75Hz is possible without freesync enabled on this monitor (using an nvidia card)?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: The name "Freesync" is just a piece of functionality that gets marketed but does not affect proper functionality. That is to say: any Freesync monitor will still work as a regular monitor. So, that implies, you can plug it into any video card you want and it will give you up-to 144Hz, but without "Freesync". Or at least, that is how I understand it. Plus, they have to accept any DisplayPort and HDMI certified device anyway; those standards don't imply GSync nor Freesync.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typos.

Status
Not open for further replies.