ASUS VG248QE Dead after two months?

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hi folks, trying to help a friend out.

He just bought an ASUS VG248QE 24" 144 hz monitor primarily for CS:GO gaming. The monitor was bought off Amazon and came in early February. He's been using it perfectly until last night.
He was playing 16:9 resolution until yesterday when he figured he'd try out 4:3 1280 x 1024 with black bars in CS:GO. From the moment he changed in-game resolution, his monitor flickered (a lot of older monitors do this when you set resolution to non-native) but it came back and he was
able to play on the resolution fine until he went to sleep (albeit he said it flickered every time he would alt-tab and have to go back to native desktop). Today, he came home from work, and said his monitor would turn on but was just a black screen. Nothing, nada.

The reason I came here is to ask: is this normal for a monitor to just ... die because it was forced into non-native resolutions? It isn't his computer as it boots fine into another monitor. We both just found it really odd that a brand new monitor (~2 months old) would just go kapoot like this.

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
His desktop has always been at native resolution. The only resolution he changed was in-game. With crappier quality monitors, i've experienced this flicker from changing between resolutions in two different apps. My benq xl2411z does not have that problem. His monitor the asus vg248qe is the direct competition for the xl2411z yet I wouldn't have thought that the asus would just die out from him playing in non-native resolutions in-game. This just seemed like a REALLY odd/anomalous situation was hoping someone else might have some magical weird theory behind it.

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I understand the vg is 1080p ... are you serious right now? you can CHOOSE what resolution you want your GAME to run at and have a SEPARATE DESKTOP resolution. HIS desktop resolution is 1080p at 1920x1080. his INGAME resolution is 1280x1024. I run the same settings on my benq (ie swapping from native desktop 1080p to CS:GO running at 1280x1024) and I have absolutely no flicker or problems.

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Ok dude. I get that. I know how to trouble shoot. This just seems like a crazy odd thing to happen to a monitor. Was just wondering if anyone would have any clues as to what would CAUSE this not what the problem is...