ASUS VG248QE Monitor 144hz setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Hey guys
I have my new Asus Monitor and am currently running an HDMI cable from my graphics card to the screen and am not using the cable the screen came with. I am currently running a GTX 780 Lighting Edition Graphics card and getting 60hz out the screen at 1080p , this screen however is capable of 144 hz. How do i configure it or what do i need to get in order to achieve this ?
Thanks guys :)

Solution
As far as picture quality goes, there really shouldn't be any visual differences between HDMI, DVI-D, and DP other than the HDMI doesn't support the higher refresh rates. All three are send data to the monitor in a digital format, not analog. Usually digital signals are relatively impervious to noise. At least so far as it would require quite a lot of noise before it started to affect the picture quality. Since your monitor came with the DVI-D cable, I would just use that. The only benefit to HDMI and DP over DVI-D is the cables are slimmer.

So short story, if you still have the cable it came with us that.

Actually it may benefit not using HDMI. nVidia and AMD (predominately nVidia though) would assume that since the display...
Right click on your desktop and select Screen Resolution. Then in that window click Advanced Settings. That will bring up another window and there should be a tab labeled Monitor, select that tab. From there you should be able to select Screen Refresh Rate.

Should have given your initial post more scrutiny. You can't get above 60Hz on HDMI, you need to either go with the dual-link DVI-D cable or a DisplayPort cable.

Sorry about that. Have a look at the manual pages 3-7, and 3-8. The chart shows that you need DVI-D or DP for frequencies above 60Hz. The good thing is the monitor came with a DVI-D cable. The bad thing is if you use the speakers. If you still want to use the speakers you'll need to use a male to male 3.5mm cable to go from your sound card out (front speakers) to the audio in on your monitor.

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
ok kwl thanks a lot man :) really appreciate it :)
I dont use the speakers anyway I have my sound card hooked up to my Tiamats :)
So which is better DVI-D or Display port , obviously i want the best picture for gaming etc etc , it just looks sooo much clearer when I use the HDMI cable ?

As far as picture quality goes, there really shouldn't be any visual differences between HDMI, DVI-D, and DP other than the HDMI doesn't support the higher refresh rates. All three are send data to the monitor in a digital format, not analog. Usually digital signals are relatively impervious to noise. At least so far as it would require quite a lot of noise before it started to affect the picture quality. Since your monitor came with the DVI-D cable, I would just use that. The only benefit to HDMI and DP over DVI-D is the cables are slimmer.

So short story, if you still have the cable it came with us that.

Actually it may benefit not using HDMI. nVidia and AMD (predominately nVidia though) would assume that since the display device was connected via HDMI, they were TV's and would switch to a poorer quality video standard (RGB 16-235).

Solution

Djavany

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015

You need a DVI cable to be able to run it at 144Hz, HDMI caps at 60

thnkmltr

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

HDMI will not run at 144hz, it can only run at 60hz. Try using a DVI-D or a DisplayPort.

PhoenixA7Z

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

You have to use either Displayport or Dual Link DVI (the cable your monitor came with) HDMI doesn't currently support 144hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS