Asus VG248QE monitor and Gigabyte G1 GTX980

UltimateXiphias

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
My PNY GTX780 recently died terribly, and I replaced it with a Gigabyte G1 GTX980. I have a Asus VG248QE 144Hz monitor, connected to the video card by displayport.

At first it took me trying all three of the GTX980's displayport ports to find one that would even pick up the monitor (the far left, next to the HDMI.)

Now that it's working, while the NVidia control panel gives me the option to go up to 144Hz, if I pick anything higher than 85Hz the VG248QE screen goes black, fuzzy, or otherwise incredibly distorted before going dark.

(I have two other monitors running on DVI connections.)

Since I only have one monitor with DisplayPort and one PC that can connect to DisplayPort monitors, I don't know how to figure out if this is a video card issue or a monitor issue. (The monitor was working fine before my 780GTX died, unless it was the monitor somehow causing the 780GTX to fail, I suppose, in which case I bought this new card for no reason...)

Solution
you don t just rma 2 things because you cant figure out whats causing the problem, that ridiculous. first, just try the one monitor and see if it still does it. add 1 monitor at a time , setting the hz according to what the monitor is specd at. i have the same asus monitor hooked up with a dual link dvi and another 60 hz monitor reg dvi and they work fine

BradleyJames

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
you don t just rma 2 things because you cant figure out whats causing the problem, that ridiculous. first, just try the one monitor and see if it still does it. add 1 monitor at a time , setting the hz according to what the monitor is specd at. i have the same asus monitor hooked up with a dual link dvi and another 60 hz monitor reg dvi and they work fine

Solution

UltimateXiphias

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014

So, here's what I did. I shut down my PC and unplugged everything but the VG248QE (which is on DisplayPort.) Rebooted and not only did it detect the monitor fine, the NVidia Control Panel let me set the refresh rate to 144Hz and it worked.

So, I cautiously plugged in one of the 60Hz DVI monitors. This caused the VG248QE to revert to 60Hz as well, but, again, I was able to set it to 144Hz with no issues.

Finally, I plugged in the second 60Hz DVI monitor, and, yet again, the VG248QE reverted to 60Hz as well. But, again, I was able to set it to 1444Hz, with no issues, even though I couldn't before. I don't know why unplugging my other monitors and plugging them back in worked, but it did. (Or maybe it was the reboot, even though I've rebooted multiple times since encountering this bug?)

Thanks everyone for their help on this non-problem!

zilberboy

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Hello, I'm having a similar problem with my vg248qe.

I'm runing it as a single screen conected via dual-link dvi to a msi gtx 980 gaming 4g.
my screen goes brezerk on me when system is booting up. if i try to enter bios the screen noise is terrible.
this only happens up until windows 8.1 boots up. inside windows everything is ok as long as i'm running it in 120/144 hrz. if i try to put it at 60hrz the problem surfaces back up.
problem occures also with HDMI cable (teset several of those... and several dvi cables... and sevral different screens so problem is not with my graphic card).
tried updating drivers but nothing changed.

thoughts anyone? should I RMA?